Discovery 200tdi in a 90 - How do I get to the downpipe bolts?

Asking here incase I have missed something obvious, or someone has a magic method...

I'm trying to get the downpipe off my truck, it is a discovery 200tdi fitted in a 90.

379527_10150564913135837_508975836_11457459_1579996007_n.jpg

I have got off the bottom bolt on this side, and the top one is loose, but still in there to hold it. I'm just struggling to get to the one at the bottom nearest the starter.

I did manage to get to it via a hole in the bulkhead (not a rust hole before anyone suggests that :P), using about 2' of extensions, but it needs a UJ in it near the bolt. Try and I might, I can't do it like that on my own as the UJ just tries to turn over and I don't have three arms!

So does anyone have a method they use?

All this is so I can remove the downpipe (homemade by P.O) to get at the clutch slave! This downpipe is then being replaced by a Steve Parker jobby.

I have some allen key bits that fit into a ratchet spanner, came with mine from halfords would that work? I have a super fine action stubby snap on ratchet that is ideal for jobs like that but i dont think you can buy them anymore so thats not much use...

Can you sleeve some rubber pipe or wrap insulting or masking tape around the uj to make it less floppy? or sounds like an excuse to buy some wobble drive bars.

Will.

I have the allen key bits you mention, as I have the large Halfords set. Problem comes with the fact the bolt is that close to the pipe, it doesn't fit!

Tried it with tape round it, then tried this evening with dad turning it while I supported the UJ and it still wouldnt shift :blink:

So pending weather/panto set build/motication I'll be cutting the downpipe for better access!