Snapped timing belt

Sip

Hi

My timing belt snapped on the disco 200tdi in my 90 last week. Took the rocker cover off and could see bent rods.

Yes, I had been meaning to change the belt, learned that lesson the hard way.

My question is, what parts do you think I will be needing, is there a kit? Any good links on how to do valves etc?

Willing to give it a go, engine scrap otherwise.

Is buying a complete head off the likes of Turners a more cost effective way?

Not many second hand 200s around this neck of the woods, is a 300 viable?

Mad idea, but is a 300tdi and auto box out of a disco doable?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think of all the options. Just got the 90 back on the road after 6 months, (bulkhead, outriggers and front roll cage), so a bit sick.

If you have been thinking of doing your timing belt, do it now!

Cheers

Neil

You dont need to lift the head - the valves will not be damaged.

You will need 8x new pushrods and a cam belt kit. You may need some parts of the rocker gear, you may not - it doesnt always damage them.

Easy enough to fix yourself and more an inconvenience than a major problem.

Jon

Hi there, where are you in The Emerald Isle?

I am in the North, Co Down.

There doesn't seem to be many Irish on here but I could be wrong.

If you lift the head off check the valves, reseat them and renew bent pushrods and any other bits you will know what you have top end wise.

Taking the head off is a must!!!

You cant take the chance that its all ok. While its off remove each valve and check for true (run the stem/shaft on a flat bench edge and see if the valve has a wobble. If so you need a new one, as it will not be air tight any more and you best take a careful eye for any damage to the head).

And you might as well change the valve seals while your ordering your new head kit they only cost a few pennys each and worth the time in changing. (little tip. inlet has a sping IN and the ex. withOUT on the valve seals).

Dont ditch the 200 if you must send it my way :hysterical:

Taking the head off is a must!!!

No it isn't. The valves are dead in line with the bores/piston stroke, so all the energy is concentrated to the pushrods - via the rockers (which generally take the abuse on the 200TDi).

Rocker cover off, timing cover off, 8 pushrods (replace them all - even if some look ok)Set timing positions, replace cam belt kit, set tappet gaps, and away you go.

Les

Just about every Tdi engine I have overhauled has evidence that the valves have hit the pistons at some time or another. It doesn't seem to affect their running that much.

Here's an example: - also note that the injector has hit the centre of the piston!

P1010004Small-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...