2nd fuel tank filler

I've had a second rear fuel tank to fit to my 90 for a while now, it's got shunted to the back of the line mainly as I don't have a solid plan for the second filler.

It's a 300tdi 90 so the new tank is a Td5 tank mounted behind the cross member with the fuel filler coming out the rear wings. what have people used?

I don't want to use a 'V' neck filler pipe from the original tank filler as these have two main limitations

a) they take an age to fill up at a pump.

b) fuel can move between the tanks at high angles and leave your main tank (and therefore the engine) dry! Saw that happen once which caused panic\hilarity\relief when we realised what had cut the engine out.

So that means a new hole to be cut.

A genuine filler needs a massive hole cutting, LRS do this but it's expensive and needs a similar sized hole:

COR4%20Auxiliery%20Fuel%20Filler%20Surround.jpg

You can buy this kind of thing for boats but they are not the same sized pipework:

850477.jpg

Any sugestions welcome!

Cheers.

You could use a flush fit aero cap, you can get them integrated with a "filler spout" that allows you to connect a pipe to it. Get the type without a breather. Something like this one...

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1830/FLUSH-FITTING-FUEL-CAP-3.15-O.D.-WITH-FUNNEL/product_info.html

The important part of the design is that you feed the tank's filler breather (25mm ish diameter pipe) up to the filler and feed it in higher than the pump spout will reach. Without that breather the fuel will airlock at the bend where the filler pipe goes over the chassis making it a real pain to fill the tank.

I prefer fitting multiple tanks with separate fillers rather than joining them all together, if nothing else it means each tank can be used in isolation if one gets damaged/holed.

Cheers Dave, seen those fillers too,but was hoping for something less than £70! Where I'm going that's another week on the road...

If the Y-piece in the filler neck is at the height of the filler tube in the side of the tub, ie. well above the height of the fuel tank itself, then you'd need to be at some angle to drain the fuel into the other tank I'd have thought!

You do, but i've seen it happen on a UK greenlane as a friends expedition truck climbed up a rock ledge. The trip I'm planning has some off road routes and as I'm a solo vehicle I'd rather not risk it.

The Series filler looks good, didn't think of that. Would the profile of the surround match a Defender's shaped rear panels do you think? I might pop down to the local landy garage and see if they've got one of them lying around I can measure up against my truck.

Thanks for the ideas all.

Seems fine for my application, but I am running a V8 and therefore have a smaller filling nozzle... also running a custom fuel tank which happens to have a 50mm inlet.

The important bit for me was to have the angle on the filler, a striaght one would have backed up badly. I don't know what size pipework your tank is, but I don't think my RRC stock fuel tank was any bigger than 50mm, may be wrong though...