Knocking from steering wheel

Hi all, this might be a daft question, but as I am on my first Defender I wasn't sure if this is a known issue: when I turn on full left lock from centred there is are two knocks from the steering, one at about a third lock, the other at about two thirds, it sounds as though it is coming from the steering wheel hub itself. There is no sound on right lock, and the steering performs as it should. The car has been sitting but only for three weeks and in a garage, but I am wondering if something has cracked, a ring or something. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And how easy is it to take the steering wheel off and have a look, are there any tricks?

Thank you very much.

ST

Hi all, this might be a daft question, but as I am on my first Defender I wasn't sure if this is a known issue: when I turn on full left lock from centred there is are two knocks from the steering, one at about a third lock, the other at about two thirds, it sounds as though it is coming from the steering wheel hub itself. There is no sound on right lock, and the steering performs as it should. The car has been sitting but only for three weeks and in a garage, but I am wondering if something has cracked, a ring or something. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And how easy is it to take the steering wheel off and have a look, are there any tricks?

Thank you very much.

ST

Sounds like the self-cancelling for the indicators to me.

Mark.

Hi guys, thank you for the responses. It is audible but quite soft, you certainly can't feel it through the steering. I don't think that it can be the self-cancelling indicators, as they still cancel normally, and the knock is deeper than that. Shame I can get the sound across on here. It is one knock on short turns, two knocks on a hairpin when I have to go to full lock (there are two on our school run!), only on left lock not on right. The knocks are quite deep but soft, with a stereo on or heavy weather or even animated conversation you wouldn't hear them and you can't feel them through the steering. We are thinking of selling the car on - we have been offered another with fewer miles - and so of course this noise shows up this week out of the blue! So I am worried primarily that it is something within the steering that will deteriorate, but also that when a potential buyer is looking around he will ask about it and it will scare people off. So I at least need to figure out what it is and then be honest about it, or preferably fix it. Sometimes timing is unfair - we have put 18,000 miles on it without issue, then we briefly mention selling it and it starts making a strange noise!!

Thank you for all the responses so far, all helpful stuff.

ST

It sounds like the panhard rod moving slightly on the bolts / bush. Get someone else to look under while you move the steering wheel... I had similar recently.. Just tightened the bolts and it pinched everything up just a little bit and stopped hte noise.

Maybe another bush of course, but sounds similar to my old issue.

Neil