Ok What Now??

Igol

So the rear cross member has gone and the truck lists to the left slightly, my ABS light has stuck on and needs reseating and now I have a new and interesting problem.

Under acceleration at around 2K revs theres a definate judder and associated noise, mainly noticed in 3rd and on the way into work today she felt underpowered too.

Its been a bit since I greased the diffs and thats now on the to do list for the morning but any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Check if the center area of the rear +mbr is good or bad. The sides go behind the r/wheels with the carp that gets thrown up. If you can weld, the outsides can be fabed up and re done. the center can be done but the tank would need to come out and GOD only knows what else you will find.

The listing is common. soft shock or saggy spring try to work out how much it needs to go up and put a spacer under the spring.

Or new suspension. :(

Your judder could be dirty fuel. See how it goes for a couple of days, better/worse then go from there.

ABS no idea.

Hope this is of some help.

New suspension and springs last year and the boot floor and sills sorted the year before. The list, mainly showing in the door, I'm putting down to the cross member on that side having gone.

Any other ideas?

Trip back from work last night helped me narrow things down to transmission/props.

The banging/judder only happens under load and comes from the floor, hand on the gear lever doesnt feel the knocking anywhere near as much as my feet do and my top speed is 50 and that takes some getting to.

Had a quick look round last night when I got in but nothing obvious was showing, wheels arent glowing red hot or anything, I'm getting under her this morning to top off the diff oil and grease the nipples and see what nasty suprises are obvious.

Grab hold of each end of the propshafts and give them a wiggle. A knackered UJ should feel obvious.

Also really helps if you jack one wheel of the axle you are looking at up, so any wind up in the drivetrain is released. :)

Your door pilliars may have dropped with rot in the sill/+mbr. Has the +mbr been repaired yet.

You could try to take the drop out at the door hinges. There's not a whole lot supporting the doors on the hinges. :o

If the door closes and locks ok you may have to live with it?

Do you offroad it? If yes it will get more twists and bumps than an onroad car.

Had a little lay underneath and a look and first thing to jump out at me was the nice shiny metal gouges where the donut bolts had been hitting the prop and rear dif link. Turning the prop by hand showed a fair amount of movement in the donut and the assorted new cracks where there shouldnt be any.

Probably explains why it started happening in last weeks cold snap though the donut and rear prop were all replaced last year at about this time so a little pee'd off its gone already, on the plus side I do have a nice new donut with the reassuring words GKN embossed on it unlike the current one.

Hopefully this is the cause and not the symptom of something else I'll find out next week when I get time to do some tinkering.

Also notice that the plate I'd bodged on the rear support a while back had dissappeared and hence the need to lift the rear door to open it, thats a job for the spring.

Is it a 300tdi abs can be reset with a paper clip take the abs relay out. then I think find the green and red lead on the diagnostic plug in under the drivers seat earth it with the paper clip to the black lead second one in and wait for the blink code to start blinking it'll be up to four then anything up to 14 so example 3 blink then 12 on the 12 blinks remove the wire and this will reset error on abs. Search this site I think there is a better description than this but just a note to say it possible . repeat for all error until it has cleared all the stored faults.