Judder or rumble from front end!!

HELP!

i have got a judder or rumble from the front end of my 90!

I have recently put a 200tdi disco in my landy. The front end was shot so i had a mate to chop out and re-build the front chassis legs and x-member right back to just before the shocks and springs.

The problem i have got is there is a shake in the steering wheel, mostly at slow speeds. Its not that strong that its going to rip out my hand but I know its there.

I have had the tracking checked and have been told of the steering damper being a cause, but i have taken it off and its still there!

You know when you think your getting somewhere and then this happens?! Please help!!!

Are your wheels balanced?

Have you checked for play in your wheel bearings on the front axle?

Have you tried replacing the steering damper with another that you know works-ie: a new one?

Have you looked at the panhard rod bolts that attach them to A) the axle, and B) the chassis and are the bushes good on it too ?

Are your UJ's in good order on your front prop and/or is the front prop loose where the bolts attach it to the diff or T box ?

Have you checked for any play in the diff nose bearing, also is there any gear oil in the axle casing for the diff?

These are things I'd ask myself If i was having the same problems as you.

John

Thanks for the input....

I reconditioned the front and back diffs a few years ago tho i have got some play in the flange/bearing that attatches to the prop. I have had new props front and rear but i have got a 2" lift and the dif does seem to be pitched froward quite a lot.

I was thinking of getting the front radius arms with the 3 deg correction as i have bought the rear trailing arms and it did move everything back. ie. the A' frame ball swivel sits better and the castle nut came lose!! (easy fix.) But it's another £200!!

I hav'nt done a huge amount of miles since. I am getting new tyres nxt wk so will have them balanced properly then.

New panhard last year and all new ball swivels, complete kits. I will check the pre load again when i do the tyres.

It has had new disc's, calipers and pads all round with braided hoses........

Like i said i'm at a loss as most things are new. But i will take your advise and go over it all again.

There must be something i am missing. Thanx again and any more thoughts are welcome.

I just want it to work!!! Lol :wacko:

No it's still there!!

The only things i havnt checked now is the pre load on the front ball swivels, the balancing of the wheels and i think i am going to buy a new steering damper as the one i have took off was a Shi... I mean Britpart and when i pushed it in it stayed in that position! I dont know if that is the norm for a steering damper?? any ideas as to which i should buy?

So if i dont find anything that cures it after i have done the rest, then i have a gallon of fuel and a match ready!!

If it's a shake through the steering wheel, and at low speed, I'd suspect worn panhard rod bushes or the bolts that pass through them, or even ovaling of the holes on the chassis/axle. Easy to check, just get someone to rock the steering wheel side to side while you look at the bushes.

Otherwise check swivel preload and also see if you've got too much play in your steering box. A little bit in each can add up to a lot of wobble!

The steering damper isn't there to take up play in the steering, though it can mask problems - you should be able to drive normally without it.