Bulkhead Wiring Harness

When it comes to me fitting the bulkhead wiring harness, will it matter if a fit a 300tdi or td5 item? Reason i ask is that i understand the td5 has a few ecu units that i wont be having on my v8. The chassis harness that i have installed has the later type connectors fitted so i assume its either 300tdi or td5?

poeple tend to go for a td5 dash clock panel as its got a few advantages, i.e. non wobbly speedo (youll need an electric speedo sensor set) im sure theres a thread on how to change the housings etc. the backlighting is also better.

Using a Td5 wiring system, there are only a few things that need a bit of modification to work. Crank enable from the immobiliser, and the temperature gauge are two that spring to mind. Nothing else won't work without the ECU plugs being connected, most of it is for engine control...ie. unnecessary!

If you can get hold of a 300Tdi loom then this wouldn't need doing. Some had the immobiliser, but no ECU as such. Just switches the earth path for the starter relay as above. Easy enough to remove this functionality.

I used a full TD5 setup bar the engine harness for my wife's 90. I then modified/combined a TD5 and V8 engine harness and put the Megasquirt and LPG ECUs under the driver's seat, tapping into the TD5 wiring without cutting it to support the V8 requirements.

This has since paid dividends because a change of use has led to the V8 being replaced with a TD5 and having most of the wiring both present and unmolested made the task a LOT easier as it was more or less plug and play.

I used a variable resistor to bridge the TD5 ECU wiring to support the temperature gauge, I could then adjust the gauge to read centrally when the V8 was at normal operating temperature. The TD5 ECU takes the input from the coolant temp sensor and outputs a modified value in part because the TD5 temp sensor, without modification, would make the Defender temp gauge work backwards !