Discovery trailer dash warning light

Matt BADLRC

I have a 98 discovery with a normal black trailer socket, it all works as it should on the trailer/carvan however the trailer wairning light on the dash dosent flash, does the flasher unit need changing to get it to flash or ahould it just flash itself when the trailer plug is in? assuming the bulbs not go where should I start looking to sort it our?

As far as I know it should flash. I have never had to change the flasher after fitting tow bars to Discoverys. Assuming all the exterior lights work as they should, I would check the bulb of the warning light.

You haven't got LED lights on the caravan have you? These can cause problems like this.

This is correct. I can't quote part numbers right now, but it didn't take me long to google them when I sorted mine out.

1 flash when first indicating, if no trailer connected, just to let you know it works. Every flash when connected. There's a different relay depending on how many lights you've got. The 200tdi only has one rear indicator, the 300tdi has two (per side)

The relays are marked with how many lamps and at what rating they support.

Kev

Ok thank you for the advise, I will start with the bulb in the dash as it dosent flash once as people are suggesting without a trailer plugged in, I will check flasher type to make sure its correct for the number of lights as also suggested and take it from there.

My recollection is that it is more than 3 pins - possibly 5 even. You should change the relay when fitting the tow pack to activate the trailer warning lamp using an extra pin on the relay base. Maybe this has not been done.

Kevin

I have fitted the flasher unit AMR 4873 with the hazards on its flashed the trailer dash light , with the indicators it flashed the trailer dash light once but indicators flash really fast. should the 300 disco have indicators in the same place as the 200 on the rear plus the bumper or just in the bumper? mine is only in the bumper, what else would cause this? I think its to do with the number of bulbs being flashed?

I hear a rumour that some 300tdi models had different light configurations, though I've only seen ones like mine. Your operation is functionally correct. The rapid flashing is due to the shortage of 1 indicator, against what the device is expecting.

Mine has the following arrangement, plus the tail / stop lights and indicators on the bumper. The bright thing is a stick on reflector:

5558816463_71b0208875.jpg

IMAG0048 by MrKev, on Flickr

Hope this helps

if its flashing quickly without the caravan conected and then flashing normally with it connected either a bulb has gone or you have a bad connection somewhere.

the trailer warning light will NOT flash if you have defective bulb on that side with a caravan/light bored connected, but will flash at normal

as soon as the light bored is disconnected again the indicator will flash rapidly again.

can confirm the trailer warning light flashes once with nothing connected

also my disco only has a indicator in the bumper and not in the light cluster, so this shouldnt be a problem

hope this helps.

The relays are marked with how many lamps and at what rating they support.

e.g for the AMR4873 21W x 4 + 5W + 1.2W

If you don't have 4 21W indicaor lamps per side (including the trailer), then you've got the wrong relay. There's a 21W x 3 version, which a defender or 200tdi, or in this case these special 300 tdis which don't have a D Pillar indicator. You need that one by sound of it. Not sure what the part number is.

Kev