Place to mount twin battery on LR90

Hi guys,

I'm currently rebuilding my 1988 LR 90, and I've come across the problem of finding an suitable place to put twin batteries.

The seat box isn't an option anymore because i have installed racing seats and there's very limited space under the bonnet, as i have fitted an 200Tdi. The 2.5 diesel was a too old and slow.

I have to run a T-Max EW-12500 Winch (I went for overkill with that,), a stereo, spotlights, a twin cylinder compressor, two electric fans, and a radio transceiver with a modified antenna (wich eats up alot of power). I have bought 2 identical 920 CCA batteries to run all this. (Maybe it's overkill again)

Now, I've thought putting them in the underbody space in the wheel arches, about there where LR wolves have the side storage lockers. there seems to be just enough space, but I'll have to fabrivate a box.

Would it be a problem to store the batteries there? They may be exposed too much to the elements, and get damaged by mud, or by the pressure wash. On the other hand, if I make the box too sealed, the batteries can overheat.

Can you think of any other place where the batteries can be put on a 90?

Thanks in advance.

How often do you need to access the batteries??

Personally, I'd still suggest seat box. Fit kill switch and Anderson charging connectors on outside of box and you have no need to access batteries. Unbolting a seat is probably going to be easier than trying to access underach box.

If not I had two batteries behind the bulkhead for a 24v winch set up and this wasnt to intrusive. You can box them in and provide breather holes easily here too.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks alot guys

Think Steve's idea is the best

I have never thought of using charging connectors outside of the seat box. This way I can use the underbody space for something else.

I always travel in a convoy with friends in the weekends. We go to some remote places for mountaineering, where the typical winter's morinngit's about -20 C in 2000 m altitude (most engines have problems with that), so there is always someone who needs a jump start.

I already have a battery kill switch, which I've hidden so that it's harder to steal the car.I took a look at the Anderson charging connectors on the internet, it should be a fairly easy task for me to build my own, as I took some electrical engineering classes last year.

Thanks again

Both my batteries are under the passenger bucket seat.

As said above I have an Andersen connector on the outside of the seat box for jump starting duties.

If the seat has to come out its only 4 bolts when all is said & done.

Hi guys,

I'm currently rebuilding my 1988 LR 90, and I've come across the problem of finding an suitable place to put twin batteries.

The seat box isn't an option anymore because i have installed racing seats and there's very limited space under the bonnet, as i have fitted an 200Tdi. The 2.5 diesel was a too old and slow.

I have to run a T-Max EW-12500 Winch (I went for overkill with that,), a stereo, spotlights, a twin cylinder compressor, two electric fans, and a radio transceiver with a modified antenna (wich eats up alot of power). I have bought 2 identical 920 CCA batteries to run all this. (Maybe it's overkill again)

Now, I've thought putting them in the underbody space in the wheel arches, about there where LR wolves have the side storage lockers. there seems to be just enough space, but I'll have to fabrivate a box.

Would it be a problem to store the batteries there? They may be exposed too much to the elements, and get damaged by mud, or by the pressure wash. On the other hand, if I make the box too sealed, the batteries can overheat.

Can you think of any other place where the batteries can be put on a 90?

Thanks in advance.

You wont get them under the bonnet, or in the wolf 90 side lockers because they don't have any, only the 110's. You should have a fuel filler on one side in the space where you are talking about.

Id go with behind the bulkhead as Steve says, it all depends on if you can get access under the seats. Which is why i went LR/emoor trim seats again when I upgraded.

How about taking some load off the poor alternator, i.e hydraulic/pto winch, viscous fan, wind up radio, or fit a second alternator :mellow:

How about taking some load off the poor alternator, i.e hydraulic/pto winch, viscous fan, wind up radio, or fit a second alternator :mellow:

I might sell the compressor, as it has not seen any use in the last two months. Maybe I'll sell the fans too. This way I can somewhat finnance my forever-lasting rebuild. I plan to start painting it arround the 25-th of February.

I need radio transceiver, so it must stay. Only the antenna needs about half a battery to operate, but it's onlu turned on once every hour, so our trainer can talk to us. Maybe I'll put it in his car.

I think I'll keep the winch and the spottlights too. I must winch the others out anyway, as I'm the only one with a winch. And I never really use the stereo, because I can't hear it.

As for the side locker I think I can fabricate one by myself. I have the fuel filler on the right (passanger) side, but the left (driver) side is empty. Maybe I'll build it for tidying the interior space up, should be enough to hold all the ropes we need.

I fitted Discovery seats to my series 3 land rover, these were bolted in place however I still wanted access to the seat box for storage - albeit not for a battery. I Simply cut a new access window at the front of the seat base, rounded edges etc and use the area for my jack, and tool kit etc.

You could fit the bateries under the seat as suggested and also fit the conectors for jump starting if concerned. If you want to be able to access, you could fit a window as above.

I would also recommend completely sealed batteries, that way once they are fitted, you don't need to top them up etc. I guess you'd probaly thought of that :)

cheers

Paul