Strange thumping from back door !

Landrace

Hi All,

I have had my present Discovery 1 300 TDI 1997 for three years now and ever since I purchased it there has been a strange thumping sound eminating from the region of the rear door every time I go over a bump or hit a pothole. I have removed the inner door panel, checked inside the door for any loose objects, checked the sub-woofers, door mechanism and any thing else I could find to no avail. The tow hitch seems to be solid - nothing loose and the spare is securely fastenened also the wiper motor.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be apart from gremlins ? :)

Excellent forum by the way, have just joined and already increased my learning curve with regard to my Landy.

My '95 Disco's door knocks a bit, simply the latch & striker banging against each other (as if you were pushing/pulling the door when it's shut). I'm sure it is adjustable, but it doesn't seem to cause any problem other than the occasional bang.

The back door may shut and latch, but if the door guide and allignment block is even slightly out, the door will knock. There is a heavy piece of spare wheel leaning in on the hinges, and when standing still all seem fine, but when moving the door and spare start their game.

I eventually coated the allignment block on the door with engineering blue, and closed the door, re-opened and checked for even contact marks. You will be surprised at the blue markings when opening the door again, they must be even, top and bottom.

The body to chassis mountings nearly had me sell by Disco, could not find the rattle, stripped the two front seats completely, adjusted the rubbers over and over, but the noise persisted, this however was a loud metallic rattle. Eventually found 3 of the mountings loose, tightened them up, and all's well again.

Hope you find the little bugger........

The back door may shut and latch, but if the door guide and allignment block is even slightly out, the door will knock. There is a heavy piece of spare wheel leaning in on the hinges, and when standing still all seem fine, but when moving the door and spare start their game.

I eventually coated the allignment block on the door with engineering blue, and closed the door, re-opened and checked for even contact marks. You will be surprised at the blue markings when opening the door again, they must be even, top and bottom.

The body to chassis mountings nearly had me sell by Disco, could not find the rattle, stripped the two front seats completely, adjusted the rubbers over and over, but the noise persisted, this however was a loud metallic rattle. Eventually found 3 of the mountings loose, tightened them up, and all's well again.

Hope you find the little bugger........

This is a definate thud every time I hit a pot hole, no rattle - had a quick look at the mountings this evening and they seem solid - the back door alignment sounds interesting - thanks - will check this out !

I had a thud like yours that came from the drivers door whenever I went over a speed bump. The previous owner was honest enough to tell me that the window on that side had packed up a while ago. I assumed the noise was the quadrant rattling around. When I finally got round to investigating inside the door, there was a lump of two by four that the cowboy had used to wedge the window closed while the NoNails set!!