"optimal" suspension for an V8 D1-98 on 235/85/16

lacrits68

hello!

I picked up my "new" D1 V8 -98 couple of weeks ago! First thing was to fit new wintertyres with studs, size 235/85/16 ( cooper M+S). Very soon i discovered that they rub in rear starting with minor"in-flex". Now i discovered that with 4 persons load, moderate load in thecargo area they rub alot!

2012-02-0815resize.jpg

to summer season i like to have insa special tracks on her! Same size 235/85/16. I realize that its not gona happend if i dont do something to suspension.

My question is: What is "optimal" suspension for an D1 with 12 000lb winch 45kg, roofrack and Insa ST's.? how muck lift do i need. im not that of HC offroader more greenlaning/outoor man! So some gear and family of 4 is taging along for weekend trips!

please advice me!

cheers

Jan

The size of tyre you have is really too big to use without some lift. I would imagine at least an inch will be necessary to avoid rubbing, 2" is quite a popular step too. You may find you need to trim the rear edges of the front wheelarches to avoid the tyres fouling on full lock. You will also need to adjust the steering lock stops to avoid the tyres rubbing on the radius arms

My thoughts though, based on your comment of not being an hard core off-roader - I wonder why you feel the need to run Special Tracks in the summer, or even tyres this tall?

235/75/16 is a common factory size and offers a good selection of tread patterns for all seasons.

With the additional weight of your winch, you will likely benefit from heavier duty springs up front. A winch and steel cable can easily add 50kg to the nose weight, and make a fair difference to steering behaviour.

If you are happy with the general handling of your truck, fitting spring spacers will likely be the cheaper option. However if the spring rates need changing, I'd just go straight for new springs. I'm afraid I can't suggest any particular options.

You could do a 2" body lift instead. Then you don't have to worry about wearing UJ's, steering geometry problems and it keeps the centre of gravity lower than a suspension lift. But it is a bit of a hassle to do.

Heavy duty springs will give a slight lift and will help with the weight of the winch at the front, but even with these I don't think it will clear those tyres.

You could just keep the tyres a more standard size for this truck. Even with standard wheels and tyres they are pretty capable off road.

I have a 2" body lif on mine and I could run tyres this size, but I am actually running 245/75 R16's.

I have 2" lift springs on my D1 and 285/75 r16 BFG mud terrains. Some minor trimming of the arches and they are absolutely fine. We use the car for long distance towing and for my Tree surgery business. It is fitted with a 1.4 transfer box.

235/85r16's aren't that much taller than a 7.50 x 16 and these were fitted on Camel trophy vehicles hence the term 'camel cut' reference the trimming to the body work.

Steve

hello!

OK!

Biggest problem is when loaded back end is agging too much! unloaded no rubbing or other problems! I think my car have new spings (looks too shiny for original) and sitts quite hig when n ot loaded! 235 is my choise to keep "tyrefarm" compatible with defender.

there is lots of springs available...bearmach, brittpart, OME, terrafirma and sure more that i forgot! What to choose, what is "best" of price/quality point of view?

I hade britparts HD springs on my former D2 and they did not sag, carried load well, but we too stiff/lacked artikulation offroad. tended to "tip-car-over" !

any thoughts here?

//Jan

ps: Steve: i saw film clip "testing in sand" that kind of road Im using and that kind of ride I want! :) what setup might you use?

How about getting some flexi arches that open the arches up to allow the tyres to flex without affecting COG or articulation.

Google j.barge spring specs for a large list of standard springs that you could use as an upgrade.

Will.

hello!

OK!

Biggest problem is when loaded back end is agging too much! unloaded no rubbing or other problems! I think my car have new spings (looks too shiny for original) and sitts quite hig when n ot loaded! 235 is my choise to keep "tyrefarm" compatible with defender.

there is lots of springs available...bearmach, brittpart, OME, terrafirma and sure more that i forgot! What to choose, what is "best" of price/quality point of view?

I hade britparts HD springs on my former D2 and they did not sag, carried load well, but we too stiff/lacked artikulation offroad. tended to "tip-car-over" !

any thoughts here?

//Jan

ps: Steve: i saw film clip "testing in sand" that kind of road Im using and that kind of ride I want! :) what setup might you use?

Replied to your pm.

Steve

The simple answer is that to fit those tyres you need to trim the rear bottom section of the rear wheel arches. It will not really matter what else you do unless you trim it. The trim is often referred to as a Camel Cut". So do a google search and you will find lots of posts on various forums, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

hello!

Car cutted-problem solved! :)

I think i need to look at suspension anyway....disco is leaning backwards like an old RRC....! Talked to some guys that use terrafirmas "medium duty", and it seems to be a good way to go, and replace old sagged suspension, without getting too harsh/stiff ride!

cheers

Jan

Jan,

glad you got sorted - the terrafirma stuff seems to have a good reputation for quality and value for money, haven't tried it yet myself but do intend to.

Would you mind posting a picture or two of your whinch setu please-lke the idea of the descrete mounting for my own truck?

Thanks, Steve

• 4 months later...