Source for Redline oil

ejparrott

Anyone know of a source of Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof gear oil? I've been recommended it for my SIII gearbox, but can only find one uk supplier, on ebay, and I'd like to see if there's any onther option, rather than just pluming for the first find.

A friend of mine has an ex-mil 109, formerly a 2286 petrol, but now having a 200TDI fitted. He runs a chrome plating business for vintage motors in Shilton, and use the 109 as his daily vehicle and as transport to shows, as you can fit a trimuph or hillman chrome bumper in with loads of room. He's been running redline shockproof gear oil in his main box, t box, and OD for years, and says its amazing how quiet it runs. The only reason he doesn't also use it in his axles is because he runs airlockers. The oil has the throw-off properties of a 300W oil, and so sticks to the gears, but has the viscosity of an 80w oil, so it still flows. As I've just had a new gearbox, to be fitted into our daily driver whne she gets crash-repaired, it seemed like a sensible option to follow.

Absolute overkill in a gearbox, it's just not needed and won't have the best synchro action either.

Shockproof is designed for huge HP/torque slamming through a diff off the dragstrip, it has a lot of free calcium floating around in it and i believe soluble moly.

In a Series box I'd rather use Redline MT90 or Motul Gear 300 if you want to spend heaps of money on a fluid, and at least those two are designed for synchro gearboxes.