Wiper Motor Advice.....Yes Again....

Just getting round to refitting the front wiper motor with the modified (140) gearwheel into. I noticed that the new gear and crank came with various washers - domed and plain. Now the old gear wasn't fitted with any washers so I don't know if I need them or where they go?

Also, given that I'm fitting a pre td5 motor and drive cable onto a td5 bulkhead, will I need a different tube that holds the drive cable? I'm asking as I understand the motor is mounted at a different angle on the td5 and so may be different length?

Can't help re. mystery washers, but with regard to your positioning query it will depend on the age of the bulkhead.

Up to and including 2001MY was the same layout as the older system. From 2002MY the newer layout was instated, with the wiper motor mounted higher up. To fit the previous version when replacing the bulkhead on a friend's 110 we had to drill a hole in the upper dash support bracket in order to get the drive tube in the correct position. It may take a bit of trial and error, just make sure that the wipers go the correct way (ie. they don't sweep down to start with from the parked position).

Thats the thing though Ralph, when i took the original gear out of the wiper motor, there were no washers/shims whatsoever. My suspicion here is someone before me has had the motor apart and hasnt put them back. I now need to know where my new washers/shims need to go?

there's an exploded diagram in my Defender workshop manual, section 5, sub section 86, page 53. it shows the dished washer widest side facing the gear between casting & gear.

flat washer/drive arm/washer & circlip/top cover plate

on gear shaft outside casing is a washer & circlip.

above is same as the diagram in this link.

see this bit WIPER MOTOR Service repair no - 84.15.18. on this link http://www.cgauer.com.br/lr/downloads/Defender1996.pdf

One of the washers is sprung (dome shaped) and needs to be put on the right way round. The way that seems easy to do is wrong and if you do that the auto park switch will be temperamental (ask me how I know). It needs to be put on so that there is a force pushing the gear towards the little plastic tooth on the park switch. I think I had to use a G clamp to apply pressure top the gear on assembly in order to get the circlip back on the outside of the housing. ONce it was all assembled I tested it and found that the park switch ramp was 180 degrees out and the wipers parked upright. So it all had to come off again and the plastic ramp prised out and put back 180 degrees from where it was out of the box. Hope that all makes sense.