Have tyre prices gone a bit crazy?

Chicken Drumstick

It's been a while since buying any new 4x4 tyres. But just been browsing some prices and even remoulds seem to near to £150/tyre excluding fitting!!! When did this happen?

For example I just tried Googling for info on the Recip Maxi 3D, a few posts from 2006-2009 with people saying £60/corner or £220 for a set.

Looking at current prices they are £116/tyre :blink:

Pretty much double the price in only a handful of years. Is this true across all the 4x4 tyre market?

used tyres seem to be going for silly money at the moment as well.

it's not a local thing either, I was trying to get some new tyres in Africa last year and prices were ridiculous - any brand name tyre was between $300-$500 dollars each, I ran mine down to the cord till I found somewhere that could get me some at £120 each.

We don't do badly in the Uk though and are pretty well insulated from price increases due to the volumes of goods imported, our online marketplace mentality which continually drives prices down and reasonable import duties on goods. So yep, they are expensive at the mo, but still very cheap here compared to elsewhere.

Tyre prices are going up, but so is the price of everything else!

The biggest problem I have found is that manufacturers are not making tyres in the odd sizes we like, so for instance 255/85 KM2's are in short supply. Apparently Michelin (who own BF Goodrich) are going to concentrate production on more popular sizes. They will still make batches of less popular sizes but you'll have to wait for that particular batch to be made, this goes for car, 4x4 and truck tyres.

What do you think of the Maxi's?

I like them,good in mud sand clay,spin them up they clear the treads quick time..side ways grip not that good.....another story on the road noisy and hairy in the wet...

i going to airing down next trip out......second air lock....like stauns

more tread in the mud cant wait

luke