The best mig welder to buy up to £3k

longlandy

Need a new mig around the 400a mark. I called ITW the miller agents to find that european spec millers are not millers at all, just the wire feed unit is actually a miller, which I dont think is really on when they are charging miller usa money.

Has anyone here had good experience with a production grade mig they can recommend.

thanks for reading

I regularly use 400a Kemppi , 450a Murex , 500a Butters - all power switched at the transformer which work well across the power range from bottom to about 3/4 throttle :ph34r: on 1.0mm 250kg marathon packs , the reason we can't get full throttle is max'd out wire speed . Thicker wire would sort that out but I need to weld 1mm to 30mm regularly and 1.0mm gives that.

I also use a 450a ESAB with electronic power settings on the wire feed dog but it does struggle to get started at low wire speeds/power settings on thin stuff , but otherwise a lovely machine with 'soft' start - great for leakproof stop/start points in the weld

....in those idle moments when I'm daydreaming I do think of pulse migs :blush:

cheers

Steveb

Hi

I've just bought a new 3phase miller 450 , had it about a month now and it seems fine , we also have a kemppi 400 inverter and have to say you can get a much nicer setting on the kemmpi

I suppose in time we will with the miller :closedeyes:

There is a £100 difference in price between the two sets

We use ours for mainly structural steel but also general fabrication using 1.0 or 1.2 wire.

you're more than welcome (obviously depending on your location) to come and give them a whirl :ph34r: and compare the meerkat ^_^

Cheers

Gary

Hi

I've just bought a new 3phase miller 450 , had it about a month now and it seems fine , we also have a kemppi 400 inverter and have to say you can get a much nicer setting on the kemmpi

I suppose in time we will with the miller :closedeyes:

There is a £100 difference in price between the two sets

We use ours for mainly structural steel but also general fabrication using 1.0 or 1.2 wire.

you're more than welcome (obviously depending on your location) to come and give them a whirl :ph34r: and compare the meerkat ^_^

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for the offer but Im miles away

Just had a miller 450 on demo as the agent insisted and I have to say its one of the worst welders ive ever used ,though it may be ok in spray mode.

Being drawn to the technical arc(make the oxford mig) pulse mig

Yes that's what I've just bought , did you struggle to get a nice setting ? :closedeyes:

I really recommend you get a kemppi inverter mig on demo they really are nice :wub:

Gary

I gave up trying to get a nice setting as in my book, a new welder,high grade wire etc etc should weld better than my 15yr old worn out cebora with a old torch and cheap wire without messing about!

A friend who owns a hydraulic cylinder manufacturing factory uses kempis and even on low power they seem to burn in and have that loud wasp noise, I reckon your right!