what to do with a worn out gearbox

This may sound like a daft question but does anyone still take gearboxes for reconditioning, or should i just scrap it? It is my understanding that pretty much all reconditioned gearboxes are sold on an exchange basis, hence the question.

Thanks

I imagine that places still buy them as not all gearboxes will be repairable, so some people will have to stump up the core fee because their old box is fubar'd. Obviously the builder will then want another box..... try ringing a few reconditioners.

Although the LT85 wasn't used in the numbers that LT77 and R380 have been, don't think it isn't worth something. They are strong boxes, albeit not as refined as later types, but they put up with a lot. I know of a few people running them behind big diesels. The solid case is the better one to have.

Of course, as you say, your location is a bit of an issue. Have you considered sticking it on ebay, sold for repair/exchange unit? If someone has a truly lunched 'box, buying a repairable one as an exchange unit is often cheaper than the reconditioner's core charge.

Another 6 posts and you can even advertise it on here :D

For once I have been a step ahead of the game, and advertised it on a local club site that I am a member of, and someone is showing interest in having it. I must admit i quite like the LT85, it has been replaced with another one exactly the same.