Discovery Diffs

HPLP

Hey,

Im in abit of a pickle, having just bought a discovery in Sydney and I have just discovered that the rear diff is past its best to say the least. Its whining on over-run badly. Now, I have found a axle from a series 2 for sale locally and I was wondering does anyone know if they are the same as mine (a 1994 300tdi)?

Any comments would be great!

Many thanks,

Hugh

Well I guess the 1st question is does Hugh mean a Series II diff or a D2 dif?

Niamh

hmm yes this is a good point ...

if its a D2 then iam not sure remembering that d2 axles are wider... i have a feeling they are like p38s diffs which dont fit (with out mods).

but may be some one that really knows will be along in abit :)

Thank you. I did mean discovery D2 but I didnt phrase it well. Did the later ones have a rubber dounut or UJ? Thats the second part....and if not will a propshaft from the D2 fit too? Mine has the dounut and the one for sale is off a V8 auto.

Hugh

Hugh,

Where abouts in Sydney are you -- assuming you mean Sydney NSW , you axles will be 24 spline, a whining differential generally indicates that the pinion bearings are stuffed, the pinion gear itself along with the crown wheel gear and planetary gear set will normally be okay, all that is required is to change the 2 pinion bearings and the differential case carrier bearings and set the back-lash tolerances back to standard to take up any gear face wear.

Iain

Hey mate,

Im actually in Coffs Harbour and planned to come back to Sydney today but that might not happen. Ive managed to track down MJK Discovery and they're seeing me at lunch and he says that he has one and I have the tools to change it out. I'll see what the one is like that I take out. I think that the vehicle may have been driven for a while with a duff UJ so I would not have any confidence with just replacing the bearings at this point. I'll see.

A diff is looking at $250 from MJK or $440 for a recon from all 4x4 in Newcastle so all is not lost.

I saw the D2 one up on gumtree in newcastle and could collect it as I came through but Id rather check the diff now rather than run the risk with a 400mile drive back tonight with a suspect rear axle. I was thinking of buying both the diff and propshaft if he had it.

Hugh

Hugh,

Give the guys at Silverdale (near Warragamba) a ring I'm sure that they will be able to give you a very good price for a complete new axle off a 300TDi, however in any case you whoever you eventually buy a used axle or diff off would be well advised to replace the pinion bearings, pinion shaft oil seal and the two diff carrier bearings as a matter of due dilligence before installing it. If you buy the entire axle for a swap I'd also be replacing the wheel bearings and outer oil seals as well.

The phone number of Land Rover Spares at Silverdale is 02 4774 1741, the best guy for the bearings and seals is Garry at CLR (Classic Land Rover) phone 02 4754 2642. If you need any other help my number is 0435 907 750

Iain