Fitting TCS to a pre TD5 Defender - Can it be done?

This is more musing than anything. But with the availability of off the shelf and used parts, how feasible/easy is it likely to be to retro fit the TD5's electronic traction control to an earlier Land Rover?

I presume if you acquired a set of TD5 axles with ABS/TCS that'd give you all the bits to monitor wheel slip/speed and physically brake the wheels.

All you'd then need is an ABS brake servo/cylinder setup, piping and some sort of ECU to control and activate it the system.

I know traditional locking or limited slip diffs are a usual alternative. But for the purpose of this thread lets put them to one side and discuss how possible it is, or isn't to get the TCS system working on other older Land Rovers.

Thanks.

As the TD5 defender system is pretty much self contained I wouldn't have thought it too much of a problem to retro fit it. I haven't gone into too much detail but from what I remember of the TD5 wiring the only "link" between the engine ECU and the ABS ECU is an RPM signal. The signal is a 5v pulse so you'd need to devise some way of producing that although a fairly simple circuit could be used to convert the W signal from the alternator.

You might need to convert the speedo to a TD5 Defender speedo and speed sensor as I think the ABS ECU also takes a feed form the speed sensor.

Having just replaced one I understand what the components are, just not sure if the TC/ABS ecu has to talk to the TD5 ECU I think that they are separate, but something must stick the warning lights up on the dash so think there must be an interface somewhere?

Components (front to back)

ABS Swivels (hole in the top for the sensor)

Front ABS sensor x 2

ABS Modulator

Rear ABS Hub (cut out for sensor)

ABS Ring (Bolted to brake disk)

ABS Sensor x 2

Oh and clearly each wheel needs to have a separate brake circuit plumbed to it to stop the correct wheel!!

Jason.

ABS Modulator:

Part number:

SRB101550 (Chassis No XA150590 - 3A656979)

SRB101552 (From Chassis No 3A656980)

It is my understanding that the later unit is a better one as the first one did have some issues, or so I was told. We have just replaced one on Dennis's truck with a replacement from Equicar as couldn't bleed the brakes although when replace it became apparent that the brake line was faulty/seriously corroded and the issue was probably not with the ABS modulator but as there changed it anyway, so I know where one is!!

Jason.