Disco 1 Steel wheels on Defender

I have perfomed a search but been unable to find anything

Someone has kindly donated a set of steels wheels from a D1

I know the offset is different, what will I have to do in order to fit them and stop them from rubbing ?Any other issues as well that I need to know about

Will only be used when I am out in the desert so I can go for a more biased sand tyre

Feel like I am always asking questions and not contributing, but with time and knowledge that will change

Jason

I have Disco wheel on my 90. The only problem you may find is that the wheel studs are not long enough. To stop them rubbing (although I had no problems) adjust the lock stop.

HTH

Ivan

Also got standard Disco steels on my (1989) 110. I've had no issues with tyres rubbing with either 265/75 or 235/85 as I've got a couple of sets. You may need to adjust the lock stops depending on the tyre size you run.

The wheels are quite thick steel - hence very strong. I've had no problem with the length of the studs - the end of the stud is flush with the wheelnuts when they are done up.

Regards,

Matt

Also got standard Disco steels on my (1989) 110. I've had no issues with tyres rubbing with either 265/75 or 235/85 as I've got a couple of sets. You may need to adjust the lock stops depending on the tyre size you run.

The wheels are quite thick steel - hence very strong. I've had no problem with the length of the studs - the end of the stud is flush with the wheelnuts when they are done up.

Regards,

Matt

Ivan/Matt

Cheers, going to probably end up with 265/75's on the rims, lets hope there's not a problem with the stud lenghs, may have to take off the wheel spacers I have just put on

The wheel spacers will have slightly longer studs than normal and would work well with Dsico steels - allowing you to have a much better turning circle...

Don't go wider than 265 on the Disco steel though - in fact for shale/rock desert or scrub semi-desert, I would use a 235/85. There are only two options for serious desert use - Michelin or Hankook. The Hankook would be my choice due to cost and tread pattern - obviously an MT is out of the equation but the Hankook AT ia a bl**dy good trye pattern on sand/shale/rock/mud

The wheel spacers will have slightly longer studs than normal and would work well with Dsico steels - allowing you to have a much better turning circle...

Don't go wider than 265 on the Disco steel though - in fact for shale/rock desert or scrub semi-desert, I would use a 235/85. There are only two options for serious desert use - Michelin or Hankook. The Hankook would be my choice due to cost and tread pattern - obviously an MT is out of the equation but the Hankook AT ia a bl**dy good trye pattern on sand/shale/rock/mud

The endless search for the perfect tyre. I currently run Yokohama Geolanders270/75/16's and to be honest they are a good compromise for on road/sand driving

BFG AT's seem to be the popular choice out here

As for size there seems to be 2 schools of thought, tall skinny tyres & fatter wider tyres.It would be nice to have the time and money to try all the different options

You have got me thinking know that I should opt for a skinnier tyre :unsure:

The offset on the 7x16 Disco steels is the same as the offset on 7x16 alloys like the Freestyle/Tornado, Deep Dish alloys etc that were fitted on Defenders, so you will be fine. In fact many Discovery Tdi's used four alloys and a steel spare.

I run 265/75R16 BFG's on the alloys on my 90, it is a nice size which doesn't affect gearing and looks good too :)

Jason,

Fatter is best in sand/snow/bog - but the bulge created by a 7x16 as opposed to say an 8x16 with 265's will develop more damage in the non sandy type deserts that are so prelevant world wide. You are lucky to get pretty decent sand in Dubai! Places like Ethiopia and the Sudan eat most tyres for breakfast...

By the way, I keep forgeting about the old Geolander - not so popular over here due to price but a damn good tyre

Hankooks are popular in NZ & fairly competitively priced. As they have several patterns that might fall into the AT category, can you be more specific as to which one you're refering to? Thanks.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Jason.... I'll tell yer what.......

Do you want to try my Disco rims and 265 BFG's on the 90 for a weekend? I can put my Wolf Rims on the Disco.

If you like them..... you take me out on a session in Dubai.

If you don't like them......you take me out on a session in Dubai.

Howzat sound?

Let me know and we'll arrange a session with the ratchet gun and axle stands.

Jason.... I'll tell yer what.......

Do you want to try my Disco rims and 265 BFG's on the 90 for a weekend? I can put my Wolf Rims on the Disco.

If you like them..... you take me out on a session in Dubai.

If you don't like them......you take me out on a session in Dubai.

Howzat sound?

Let me know and we'll arrange a session with the ratchet gun and axle stands.

Streaky

That sounds like a win/win situation............................................for you, know where's the gas cooker gone

im sure ive heard somewhere that disco rims arent rated to the same load as 110 rims. worth looking into if you carry a lot of gear aboard?

Andy,

I know for a fact that Range Rover Rostyle type rims aren't rated to the GVW of a 110.

As for Disco steels, as they are substantially thicker than standard 110 wheels I would assume that they are rated at least the same if not higher than the standard setup. Never had a problem with the ones on my truck ;)

Matt