Rear Axle Oil Seal Location

Hi, All,

I'm replacing bearings and seals in one of my rear hubs. They're the hub type with two oil seals. For the type of hub with only one seal, in the absence of special tool 18G 1349, the WS manual gives the setting position for the seal, which is in the inboard seal position for the two seal hub. In the WS manual there's nothing about either seal position for the two seal hub, except to use special Seal Replacer Tool LST 550-5 and drift 550. This, apparently, sets the seals to the correct depth in the hub. I don't have this tool, so can somebody please tell me what depth the seal edge should be below the hub rim for both the inner and outer seals? Many thanks, in advance.

Mike

Western,

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately, none of the articles in the Tech Archive are based on the two seal type of rear hub, and in one of the articles a special tool is used to set the seal to the correct depth. :blink:

If anyone actually has access to the special tool LST 550-5 or 18 G 134 could they, please, measure the depth of the seal setting lip (76mm diameter) and let me know what it is. Many thanks again.

Mike

• 2 years later...

After reading the manual and worrying how far in they should go, I have done the job. So for anyone in the future with the same question:

One of the seals can be pushed in as far as you can, up against a shoulder in the hub.

The other seal I pushed in just short of the race: I used some thin spacers to stop it just short of the race as this is how the old one looked.

Recovery man could well be right that you can push it all the way in up to the bearing.

For pressing in the bearings and the oil seals, I use an outer ring from the old bearing,.with a little material ground off so the it slides in and out easily.