Alternator options

I don't believe that I have any issues with my current alternator but just looking at options so have some questions:

Does anyone know how may amps a standard td5 15P alternator produces?

How much 'spare' is left after driving the truck?

Is there an upgrade option available?

My truck has A/C so a second alternator is not an option.

Jason.

Why do you need a bigger alternator?

And my 200tdi has an aircon pump and 2 alternators mounted to it, anythings possible if you get creative.

I am considering my trip to Norway, I run a twin battery set up under the seat and a third battery in the rear for my fridge, the question was just wondering how much juice is left from the truck to put charge in these batteries? considering heating lights etc, I also have a third split unit on a 12S for the trailer batteries (2x120amp) but am not so worried about them as tend to use this in the summer when the drain of lights etc on the battery is not as much although I suppose the AC is running.

I know that people stick a second alternator where the AC pump goes on the TD5 so was pointing out that this space was taken, not sure where else you could put an alternator on a TD5 the belt I use is also the longer one as it has to go around the AC pump.

Jason.

I am considering my trip to Norway, I run a twin battery set up under the seat and a third battery in the rear for my fridge, the question was just wondering how much juice is left from the truck to put charge in these batteries? considering heating lights etc, I also have a third split unit on a 12S for the trailer batteries (2x120amp) but am not so worried about them as tend to use this in the summer when the drain of lights etc on the battery is not as much although I suppose the AC is running.

I know that people stick a second alternator where the AC pump goes on the TD5 so was pointing out that this space was taken, not sure where else you could put an alternator on a TD5 the belt I use is also the longer one as it has to go around the AC pump.

Jason.

Batteries only accept 8 amps of charge and you can only improve on that is to increase the VOLTAGE output from your alternator.

Sadly i dont know anyone with a td5 let alone one with aircon but i would think getting another alternator onto yours would be easilly do able.

Batteries only accept 8 amps of charge......

Is that true? Are you saying that say a 75% charge battery will only accept an 8A current. Or are you sayin that a fully charged battery will only accept 8A. Certainly when I charge my battery if its not full with my 20A charger it takes 20A happily.

I don't believe that I have any issues with my current alternator but just looking at options so have some questions:

Does anyone know how may amps a standard td5 15P alternator produces?

How much 'spare' is left after driving the truck?

Is there an upgrade option available?

My truck has A/C so a second alternator is not an option.

Jason.

By how much spare, do you mean how much available current is available when driving the truck. I have a split charge system with marine battery monitors on each battery. When I am driving the engine doesn't need barely anything. At night in the cold and rain with my heater, headlights, windscreen wipers and radio on these "vehicle" systems draw about 30A max (normally between 20-25A) in total so my 120A alternator can still give plenty of current to my second battery. Obviously the alternator doesn't kick out 120A unless its turnng fast but even then it supplies plenty of current. I fitted a German ATX 120A alternator which came with a graph showing how much current is available at different alternator rpms. Nonetheless with my engine running and me running my leisure circuit (lights, 1kW inverter, fridge, second stereo) my leisure battery is still receiving enough current from the alternator even when idling to power my stuff and keep battery topped up. Hope this helps

By how much spare, do you mean how much available current is available when driving the truck. I have a split charge system with marine battery monitors on each battery. When I am driving the engine doesn't need barely anything. At night in the cold and rain with my heater, headlights, windscreen wipers and radio on these "vehicle" systems draw about 30A max (normally between 20-25A) in total so my 120A alternator can still give plenty of current to my second battery. Obviously the alternator doesn't kick out 120A unless its turnng fast but even then it supplies plenty of current. I fitted a German ATX 120A alternator which came with a graph showing how much current is available at different alternator rpms. Nonetheless with my engine running and me running my leisure circuit (lights, 1kW inverter, fridge, second stereo) my leisure battery is still receiving enough current from the alternator even when idling to power my stuff and keep battery topped up. Hope this helps

Just the job, that's what I was trying to find out. I have just found a spare alternator for the kit so it looks like the standard one will be fine and up to the job.

Jason.

Is that true? Are you saying that say a 75% charge battery will only accept an 8A current. Or are you sayin that a fully charged battery will only accept 8A. Certainly when I charge my battery if its not full with my 20A charger it takes 20A happily.

From an alternator pushing 14.4 volts, charge rate is dependant on the voltage difference from the battery and the device charging.

I'm running twin battery split charged fridge and an eberspacher but no A/C on a 65 amp alt with no problems I can run the fridge for 3 days without running the truck why on earth do you need a bigger alt. I mean yes I would like a 100 amp alt but can't see you need bigger.

Mike

I'm running twin battery split charged fridge and an eberspacher but no A/C on a 65 amp alt with no problems I can run the fridge for 3 days without running the truck why on earth do you need a bigger alt. I mean yes I would like a 100 amp alt but can't see you need bigger.

Mike

I run the same as Mike ( - the Eber) and my 65a does a good job of things looking at my twin voltmeter. I will put a 100a unit on as I have one around here somewhere.

Its the AC thats sucking things on your TD5 and as long as you use the Eber to heat yours when in Norway I dont think you will have any issues with the normal electrics running.

G

Mike

Thanks Mike, I am just looking at preparing my truck for Norway in February, the thing that everyone has spoken about is the batteries getting spanked, but there seems little info out there about how much draw an engine heating lights etc draws from everyting it looks like that as long as my alternator and starter are in good order there shouldn't be any issue. I have obtained a replacement for both and will rebuild them to make sure everything is in top condition.

I run the same as Mike ( - the Eber) and my 65a does a good job of things looking at my twin voltmeter. I will put a 100a unit on as I have one around here somewhere.

Its the AC thats sucking things on your TD5 and as long as you use the Eber to heat yours when in Norway I dont think you will have any issues with the normal electrics running.

G

Cheers Gareth,

I know that that the A/C sucks the juice but then I don't drive with the lights heater etc going when the A/C is on so have never had an issue, also the glow plugs don't have to work that hard in that sort of weather!!

You can fit a smart charger into your 12v charging circuit.

They ensure your batteries take the fullest charge possible, topping up the final amperes, that does not happen with a standard system.

See here http://www.merlinequ...ment.asp?id=299

John

Thanks John, I will take a look.

Thanks, everyone. Jason.

Jason you may or may not know that I have done the Norway trip in my tomcat although I did it in April so only down to minus 20. I had the same system as I currently have on the 110 I used optima's and had no problems your more likely to have issues if you use lead acid as if they freeze they are useless until they thaw. I did little more than a good full service and fit the eberspacher before I went.

Mike

• 8 years later...

I have a 1989 defender which I’m doing a nut and bolt rebuild I’m wanting to put a bigger  alternator on because when I have finished I will want to be putting on the new LED strip lights so I need a bit more power and I’m  want to be using them not just to put them on then turn them off again as well as a few other thing inside does anybody know if I can put 185 serpentine alternator on a 200 TDI discovery engine which is the engine I have in my defender it is a 2.5 diesel is there anyone could tell me where  I could get this from and making sure I have all the correct pulley for powersteering pump Cambelt crank pulley and water pulley  I believe they run a serpentine belt is this correct if anybody could help me please let me know .

Cheers

Richard