RRC Calipers Bolt size and New Calipers???????

JourneyMan

Hi All,

This is something everyone else has probably come across before, tried searching on Forum but nothing came up, so apologies if this has been done to death already.

I'm in the process of replacing the all of the brakes on my new LSE, including the wheel bearings.

I ordered 2 new OEM Front calipers (RTC6776 and 6777) from 2 different reputable sources (Hobsons) and (Craddocks) they're both genuine AP and all shiny and new and as far as I know correct for a 93 LSE.

I've put them next to the old ones and the new calipers, they look the same......however......the bolts that screw them to the hub are too big to go through the holes in the new calipers, I've checked the old ones and the holes are definitely bigger by about 3mm.

Is this correct, have I got the wrong part or is this a known issue with OEM calipers?

Also, the workshop Manual shows a Spring washer on the bolt that screws the Caliper to the Hub, mine didn't have any, likewise, neither did the bolts that bolt the Hub to Brake Disc, should there be one on each bolt?

This car hasn't seen the inside of a workshop either LR or Indie in I'd guess the last 12 years, so there's all sorts to deal with including a nest of Bodgelok connectors behind the dash, but thats for another day.

Thanks.

None of the three vehicles I have touched had washers on the calliper bolts, and that constitutes my 95 RRC, a 200Tdi Discovery and a 300Tdi Discovery. The fixing bolts varied between 13mm double-hex flanged heads and 16mm, but all were the same diameter and length. Your callipers may have been incorrectly drilled - you need to get them swapped anyway, but make sure you order them for the RRC, not Defender 110 as they may be different.

My 1990 RRC didn't have washers on the calliper bolts, nor did either of my 90's that I have had... a1995 and a 1996. However the 1993 RRC that I have now has springs washers on both the front and rear caliper bolts.

Thanks for all your responses.

I've spoken to both suppliers for these and they're adamant these are correct for the year and model of car, LR want over £200 a side for them, so I'm not going down that route. I've had a vernier caliper between the holes on the new ones and measured them, physically they're the same in dimensions, just the holes are too small for the bolts. For all of the faffing around and carriage costs in sending the new ones back, I'm tempted to find a local engineering company and get the holes drilled out to the correct size.

Just wondered whether this was a common issue, I could understand if they were pattern parts, but they're OEM and have AP stamped on the casting. Why is nothing ever simple. :o

ive heard of this problem before. its not too surprising though some parts manufacturers dont seem to think of this sort of stuff. you wouldnt need to get an engineering company to redrill them. do it yourself.

however, before you start, the brakes are bloody important. check that if you drill the holes, there is still the same amount of metal around the holes as the old calipers if that makes sense.

you cant go wrong in terms of alignment to the disk, as long as you use the right size bit, and make sure you drill it level to the hole. as the drill bit will self centre. but use a decent bit.

there are no spring washers on the bolts usually, but again as its the brakes, i would loctite the bolts in.