24 volt question ?

greenstream

Hi

Im putting a 200 TDI in to my Danish Ex-Mod 109" STW, which is 24 Volt.

I believe that I've been told that the startermotors from a series diesel engine will fit on engines up until the 200 TDI.

So will my 24 volt starterengine from my old 2,25 diesel fit my 200 TDI ?

And does any of you know which 24 volt alternator will fit on to my 200 TDI alternator mount ?

Cheers

Morten

I have taken a 24v alternator off a UK MOD 2.5 diesel engine recently, and the mounting bracket looks like it might bolt onto the mount for the aircon unit on a 200tdi engine.

I've got a TDi and a 2.5 diesel in my workshop at the moment, so I'll try to remember to try the bracket on the TDI to see if it fits.

I've just checked, and a standard military 24v alternator from a 2.5 n/a diesel will fit your TDi engine - if your engine already has bolt holes for an air conditioning compressor, the mounting cradle will bolt straight on. If you dont have the holes, you will should be able to drill and tap them easily enough but would probably need to remove the timing case cover first to clean out any bits of metal that will fall inside.

Photo attached of me holding the mounting cradle in place on a TDi engine - alternator attaches to this. You would then need a suitable drive belt.

If you already have a 24v alternator, it may be the same as the later 2.5 ones and fit in the cradle?

I may be able to help with some or all of the parts if needed.

post-4919-0-22068100-1336551151_thumb.jpg

If you put 2 12volt stop solenoids in series it splits the 24 volt.

Or with a resistor, as used a lot on lightweight radio trucks. But that would need some tuning to get constant 12 volt supply.

I vote for the series solenoids (as long as they are nearly the same)

Try your local commercial truck auto-electrical suppliers - most heavy commercial vehicles are 24V and they may be able to source a solenoid if you take the existing one in. Alternatively, using a voltage dropper (I have a Durite one in my 24V Lightweight to allow a standard ignition to be used) will not only power the solenoid, but will also allow you to drop the voltage for the dash power sockets or an aftermarket socket for phone chargers, as stereo or whatever else you need that only draws a few amps. They cost about £30.

Thank you guys.

Phil: I have removed the turbo and will have to fabricate my own downpipe, so no issues there.

Snagger: Good idea about the voltage dropper and the ability to use 12 volt socket in cap.

Eightpot: Is that bracket for the huge mili.alternator ? And yes I do have bolt tapped holes.

Morten