RRC Auto dieing when held on brake

paul mc

Hi,

My 1987 3.5V8 EFI auto is cutting out when in gear and held on the brake. When i change into neutral or park the revs pick up and it idles fine, if anything a little fast (about 1000rpm).

I am hoping it is purely because it has not been out for a run for a long time but this weekend i used it for the first time in about 3 months (have been doing bits and pieces on it and haven't had time to take it out). But anyway, i was shunting around in the stables trying to line up the winch to pull a broken fence post out of the ground and everytime when i was moving it was fine, but if i come to stop with it in drive, to then change into reverse the engine would bog down and die, as if the torque converter was not letting go sufficiently.

As I said, I hope it will improve with a bit more usage but has anyone any ideas what might be causing it?

It has only done about 1000miles since new oil and filter in autobox and oil level is fine.

Thanks,

Paul

Stepper motor sticking? So that it cannot respond to the increased load on idle.

No stepper on the 3.5efi - had the same problem myself but I think it was a question of trial & error in testing/replacing sensors to resolve. Sorry I'm not more specific but rely on a local indie.

Its running with a weak mixture, hence overly fast idle in nuetral, but stalls when a load is applied to the engine (in drive)

You need to have a look first for any split/damaged hoses that may be connected to the inlet manifold before tackling the engine management components Check for any air leaks into the inlet manifold.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that my old 3.5 use to play up with idle speeds, I just put Redex into the petrol tank and clean the crankcase breather and the hose to the plenum and everything was back to normal.