Anderson Connectors

A simple question I am just making up some jump leads to go in my wing gox, and have hit a crisis of confidence!!! I brought some SB175 Anderson Plugs which I understand to be rated at 175amps at 600 Volts (AxV=W) so plenty of capacity for jump starting as the draw is around 500amps at 12v.

So are the 175 amp Anderson connections up to the job or do I need to go Bigger?

Jason.

I don't think Watts come into it in this case Jason. The voltage rating is to do with the insulation capabilities. The current rating will be related to the thickness of the conductors. I'm not saying the connectors you have are/aren't up to the job, just that in my opinion you are looking at it the wrong way. Of course that is just my opinion and I'm sure some knowledgeable adults will be along shortly. :)

EDIT: If we were to extend the power (watts) logic you are applying to welding then you could quite happily weld with some 2.5mm twin and earth (instead of welding leads) at over 100 amps..... not something I'd like to try

Jason,

175 A is the maximum continuous current rating, not the max peak current for X seconds you get when cranking/jumpstarting. I'm on my phone at Edinburgh airport at the moment so can't easily check the Anderson spec sheet, but the 175 A model is well within the range of anything you would want to jumpstart with a Landie.

Matt

Pendant Mode on

the contact ratings are the same across the board but the colours are as follows, and they only key to the same colour

• 12 V: Yellow
  • 18 V: Orange
  • 24 V: Red
  • 36 V: Grey
  • 48 V: Blue
  • 72 V: Green
  • 80 V: Black
  • 96 V: Brown
  • 120 V: Purple
  • 144 V: White

:P

Current rating of the Andersons is dependent on the wire size used, because the cable conducts heat away from the contacts.

With 50mm2 cable in the usual 175A Anderson, they are pulse rated for 600A for 8 Seconds. With 35mm2 the rating is 500A for 8 seconds.

In reality, you don't generally crank for very long, and the average current draw when cranking is a fair bit lower than the peak value.

At lower loads, the time goes up rapidly, dropping from 600A to 400A bumps the rated time to 45 seconds.

(All this is in the datasheet on the APP website)

Edit : As other have suggested the limitation is power loss across the contacts, which is I^2 * R (Current squared times Resistance).

Typical contact resistance for the SB175 is 0.0.0001 Ohms....

So at 600 amps, you have 36W of power across each contact pair, or 72W total heating up the connector body :huh:

Thanks guys for the quick and detailed response, I thought they would be fine, as I said just had a crisis of confidence and didn't want to commit before I had checked.

Jason.