Fitting winch control box in cab

Looking in my engine bay today for a place to mount the solenoid control box but to be honest couldn’t find anywhere that wouldn’t be a pita to fit or access if anything went wrong as they always seem to.

Right from the start I should admit I am no auto electrician :blush: but forgetting the issue of running extra cable as I have over- catered on that front and I have the crimping equipment to fit the required terminals, what is to stop me mounting the control box on the rear bulkhead behind the passenger seat, if anything. That way it’s out of harm’s way and it’s not going to get wet (well not that wet) ,easy to access, the isolator switch could be mounted nearby on the outer face of the battery box, The unit wouldn't be subjected to engine bay heat and a wander lead could be used through the window or open door or sitting in the cab.

Thoughts anyone?

J2J ;)

you'll have a bigger current loss on the length of cabe run, better to kep the big cables as short as possible,

the soleniod unit could be bolted to the inner wing edge or top of wheel arch, the under bonnet heat hasn;t or diesn't seem to afect my albright soleniod unit very much if at all.

Fit an Albright..... Much more reliable than a solenoid pack and rarely needs getting at! If it does, it's 2 screws and the whole thing is out (if you leave a bit of slack on the cables)...

Alternatively, I had a solenoid pack on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and one on the front of the seat box in the passenger footwell. Both out of harms way and if you use 35mm^2 cable, you shouldn't have an issue with most winches. (mine were 8274 and TDS with no power loss due to length of cables)

I now run 2 albrights on the end of the winch motors (8274 twin) on the front and they survived 2 seasons of competing without missing a beat... My rear Albright is on the inside of the tub and it's the same story...

Fit an Albright..... Much more reliable than a solenoid pack and rarely needs getting at! If it does, it's 2 screws and the whole thing is out (if you leave a bit of slack on the cables)...

Alternatively, I had a solenoid pack on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and one on the front of the seat box in the passenger footwell. Both out of harms way and if you use 35mm^2 cable, you shouldn't have an issue with most winches. (mine were 8274 and TDS with no power loss due to length of cables)

I now run 2 albrights on the end of the winch motors (8274 twin) on the front and they survived 2 seasons of competing without missing a beat... My rear Albright is on the inside of the tub and it's the same story...

Thanks for the replies. I have been wrestling with the bloody control box and have now scrapped it and am planning to mount the solenoid and wireless receiver on the top of the passenger side, front wheel arch. I got a load of 70mm2 1000amp cable VERY VERY CHEAP (10mtrs for £30 ;) ) and so I am using that because it was cheap and will more than do the job.

I think my solenoid is an Albright type but I am not quite sure, see image?

I have cut the cables roughly to length and crimped up the terminals for the solenoid ends ready and will have a go at fitting the winch at the weekend, weather permitting.

Update if and when it happens :rolleyes:

Cheers

J2J

post-13733-0-98388100-1337283319_thumb.jpg