300TDi snorkle instal - K&N filter???

Stevie D

What's peoples opinion on the K&N replacement filter cartridge for a 200tdi canister style air filter? Do they work, are they a lifetime thing as claimed? I'm going down the route of putting the older style can filter housing in to get the safari snorkel past the abs gubbins on my 300tdi disco, and have turned a K&N unit up close by.

Never used one myself - just looking for an opinion.

Steve.

Steve. I run a K&N in my 300Tdi Defender in the standard air box with a high level intake fitted. The filter element was fitted at 130,000 miles. When I had to take the head off at 190,000 miles the hatch marks an the bores were still there. My engimne has now done 227,000 miles and I don't see any problems.

Also I live in a dirty air area. My Defender has done four trips to Namibis including ten days in the sandy river beds in convoy.

I do look after the element. Cleaning every six months or 6,000 miles using the K&N cleaner and oil. In Namibia I cleaned it more often.

I can't fault the K&N, I've also found it very cost effective as I'd use two paper filters a year and I would carry three paper filters on a trip.

Thanks folks for the resonses - had done a search, but didn't find the threads below, knew I'd seen them here somewhere before...

Turned out to be off a 2.5 na truck so a bit different from what I wanted.

Cheers.