Series 3 Gearbox woes!

FATBAZIL

Having successfully sorted out the seized clutch (previous posting) and driven my motor around for a couple of 100 miles or so I have now lost reverse gear! On trying to engage reverse it engages momentarily then crunches and disengages. It will move the truck 2 feet or so and thats it.

I picked up a second hand box and fitted it only to find that its very noisy above 30 mph and the syncros on 3 and 4th or pretty bad and no 4 wheel drive in high range. But it will engage reverse!!

Here is my questions folks-

Is it practical to strip a gearbox DIY? Looks simples in the Haynes book! Where can I get the parts? What should I look for in respect of the reverse gear problem?

Advice, guidance, sarcasm and on line laughter and P taking accepted and appreciated:)

Cheers

Mike

It's not so much the practicality element of it, but more the fact that if your confident enough. If you do your research and get some know how (YouTube, LR4x4, google etc) then almost anything can be addressed. That is, if you have the time haha! In regards to parts, again, google etc will be of help. It sounds like the typical issue of worn bearings, layshafts etc so its common and therefore plenty of solutions exist.

HTH

I'll be re-starting my rebuild thread soon - promise! I need to clear the gearbox bench out of the way for my new lathe (grin).

G.

I have an article about it on my blog. It's not hard, but you do need a decent work bench, a vice and a few special tools like feeler gauges and big internal and external circlip pliers, hide or copper mallet and a torque wrench. The Haynes manual is spot on in its detailing of how to do the job, but make sure you check the supplemental revisions in the back of the book too.

It is a DIY proposition if you have the space and tools. In fact, I always recommend people rebuilt their own rather than buy second hand or recon - those latter two options always result in trouble, and there is more con than re in the recon industry. Use genuine or OEM parts only - no pattern parts. I'd use Dunsfold LR for that.

Make sure you replace the detent springs, all bearings, seals and gaskets, the 2nd/3rd gear bush (needs trimming to correct length) and look closely at the condition of the reverse gear bush and idler shaft (especially in your case). Make sure you seat the rear bearing carier into the main casing with seating compound such as Locktite Lock n' Seal (it's a little like thread lock) as this not only prevents the carrier spinning in the casing (wearing the casing hole, loosening the fit and generating aluminium swarf), but also is the key element in preventing the normal oil migration from gear box to transfer box - this is a step missed by every reconditioner, including on my LR factory recon unit.

Not a series box I know, but I did my LT77 (twice) - and that was do-able with the info on here and the LR manuals.

Make sure you have the space, the tools, and more importantly the time. I foolishly fitted a spring wire in the wrong orientation when I did my box the first time and that caused it to stick in 4th after about 500 miles. I was in a rush.

One tiny mistake, a whole lot of extra bother. :glare:

Don't let this put you off- just pay attention to what you are doing (unlike me) and you'll be fine. :i-m_so_happy: