Rear Door Not Staying Open

Nickwilliams, any news on that? I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm onto this (fixing the back door stuff) now...

I've bought a strut with a variable force between 40 and 400N, so I'll report back when I've got it working (or not, as the case may be).

Nick.

Simonr, you're the one! Thanks for that!

You could work it out!

I'd guess at the door weighing 100kg with a spare tyre, acting around the mid-point of the door - say 50cm from the hinge. It would be reasonable to be able to hold the door open on say a 1:10 slope? If the vehicle were on it's side, the torque trying to close the door would be 1000N x 0.5m = 500Nm. On a 1:1 slope, 250Nm and on a 1:10, 25Nm.

If say the gas strut were attached to the door 10cm from the hinge - that means at full extension it would have to deliver 25Nm / 0.1m = 250N Force.

The rate of a gas strut is not quite the same as for a regular spring - as it will increase as the spring is compressed and the gas pressure increases. The typical values for rate are in the 1.1 to 1.5 range, meaning that at full compression you get 1.1 to 1.5 times the force of full extension. You generally specify a strut by the diameter, stroke and force. I can't remember if this is the max or min force but with a rate of 1.3, it's not going to be all that different end to end.

In this example, I would specify a 250N strut.

Si

MUD Stuff 4x4 do one at £75.00 but its british and I like the quality of their products! I have not bought one yet but it will be on the do do list at some stage.

I have been looking for a system like on Vans or old toyotas (if my memory serves me) where there is a metal bar and it locks the door open and to release you have to take the pressure off it and flick it to the runner channel. Does anyone know what I am on about?

Nick

I thought the Mud Stuff one was German! Not that I'm bothered really - I have been toying with the idea of buying one for a while!

I wonder if anybody makes a locking mechanism incorporated into a swing-away wheel carrier?

Whats wrong with a gate hook and eye from the hardware shop? £5 and perfectly functional.

This is a good idea, I've been meaning to try and implement something like it for ages now. I was going to use a gate hook and eye but put the eye on the door as well (for safe stowage of the hook) and then drill a hole in the trailing edge of the tub floor for the hook to go into when the door needs to stay open.

However I've got a new rear door to go on which has a latching mechanism built in using the standard check strap, with a lever that you have to lift to unlatch it to close the door. I believe these were standard fit in the early days before the newer style of check strap with a spring latch came in.