rear propshaft

calvin

i am in the process of removing the gearbox on my series 111 and seem to have got stuck. i cant seem to get anything on the bolts that hold the rear propshaft on at the transmission brake end of the box. i cant get a socket on to any of them and cant get a standard spanner on. the bolts on thefront shaft were a pain but i managed to get them off with a bit of patience a ring spanner and open ender. this wont work this way.

any hints or tips for this, and also what is the exact size of the bolts, i want to be sure that i dont end up rounding them off with the wrong sized tool.

cheers in anticipation

You need a 9/16" ring spanner. Only 1 or best 2 bolt heads will be accessable at once. You need to jack 1 wheel off the ground and with handbrake released turn the prop so that the others are accessable. Either reapply the handbrake or the footbrake (get a helper) to lock the prop as you undo them. A normal socket wont fit in, but there is a special thin one combined with an extension bar that will.

i am in the process of removing the gearbox on my series 111 and seem to have got stuck. i cant seem to get anything on the bolts that hold the rear propshaft on at the transmission brake end of the box. i cant get a socket on to any of them and cant get a standard spanner on. the bolts on thefront shaft were a pain but i managed to get them off with a bit of patience a ring spanner and open ender. this wont work this way.

any hints or tips for this, and also what is the exact size of the bolts, i want to be sure that i dont end up rounding them off with the wrong sized tool.

cheers in anticipation

cheers for that.

it is possible to get a ring spanner on, not that it helps knowing that.

you may need to buy a quality spanner that has less metal on the ring so the outer is physically smaller - they do vary - and they may make all the difference.

The first time I took the rear prop off, I undid it at the diff and by swiing the propshaft up and sideways etc: you can get the yoke out of the way plus you need to rotate the shaft - generally if you put the nut/bolt at 6 o'clock, you should be able to undo it - at best having bolts at 4 & 8 o'clock you can undo two at a time.

by jacking up the chassis so the rear driver's wheel dangles in air, it is possible to undo t he front flange without undoing the rear, well I did it on an swb .