Compressor/ riveter

mmgemini

Well after putting 200 pop rivets in with the Lazy Tongs I'm cream crackered... Somebody said compressor and air riveter.

So what are your recomendations and why ?

I don't have a bottomless pocket so price is also a big consideration.

I'd prefer to buy all from one place, also I'd prefer to walk in and then out with my new toys. Again though I'm flexable.

If you prefer to buy something from a shop you could do worse than Machine Mart:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat73-air-hydraulic-riveter

Sign up to their email-list (to a spam address) and get their VAT off voucher emailed through. Whilst I haven’t used the Clarke one, I’ve used one identical in design, to rivet ally treadplate loadbeds to trucks (hundreds of the bu**ers) and it was fantastically easy, and produced a visually very neat rivet. You can probably find a better deal online though.

You’ll find that even cheap air tools are more robust and able to withstand daily use better than their cheap electrical tool bretheren.

Compressors:

Several threads in the tools and fabrication forum on this. Basically, buy the largest you can afford in terms of motor HP (= Free air delivery) and tank size. A compressor is one of those ‘how did I manage without?’ tools. Whilst you think you may need one only for this task, soon its use expands. That said, I bought a factory-return ‘Wolf’ compressor (the kind you see advertised in the back of Saturday Papers), and it’s stood up well to 6.5 years of use so far. But I couldn’t use it for spraying or sand blasting. And no, I didn’t think I would want to do either of those tasks initially either…

Well after putting 200 pop rivets in with the Lazy Tongs I'm cream crackered... Somebody said compressor and air riveter.

So what are your recomendations and why ?

I don't have a bottomless pocket so price is also a big consideration.

I'd prefer to buy all from one place, also I'd prefer to walk in and then out with my new toys. Again though I'm flexable.

Only 200?, Lazy tongs? you lucky lucky bugger! I've put over 500 rivets in my 110 to date using a little hand held jobby, got forearms like bloody popeye, when funds permit, a compressor and air riveter are fairly top of my must buy list. But as my Mig has just crapped out big time 9wire feed gone tits up), a Frost supplied Eastwood Mig is currently sitting top of the list, now where can I get £350 from without SWHMO finding out.......

I've got the Clarke (MM) air over hydraulic riveter (one that looks a bit like a spray gun). Its working very nicely and consumes very little air (but needs about 90psi). I've used an oil-less one (not Clarke) which was prone to snatch when the rivet broke (and caused a couple of problems as I was using it on a freshly painted vehicle at the time. The air over hydraulic type must be slightly slower which prevents the snatch.

Just remember to make sure the rivet shaft drops out after each rivet is pulled - and you'll avoid jams.

A rivet gun does not use much air

Think about it, all it uses the air for is to pull the pin out / break the pin off. That is air pressure and it won't require too much of that anyway (can't seem to find a spec sheet at present).

Think about what you want / may want to use the compressor for long term. Check out the other threads on compressors and receivers as there is more than enough of a discussion on those threads.

Machine mart is expensive (unless you get on the VAT free day mailing list...) check out fleebay, CFM is what you want to compare at PSI

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been and gone and done it.

One compressor, rivet gun, Tyre inflator, air blow gun and an air caulking gun...

The rivet gun feels funny. One click and it's done.

The air caulking gun is easier but slow....Also it's blowing, or was, air where it shouldn't be. Soon fixed that.