TD5 intermittent turbo squeal

Also, maybe a completely unrelated issue, sometimes i can plant my foot, then perhaps 10 or even 20 seconds can pass before any noticeable power, i am presuming this is turbo lag, it can be fine for months then gutless for a couple of days then normal again.

My 90 has had a decat pipe, which i thought would improve the turbo lag.

bl**dy temperamental land rovers.

(cannot edit my first post, it brings up an error, server issue?)

I'd check that you haven't got a split in one of the turbo-hoses. These can squeal/hiss when the pressure builds up and the air starts escaping.

If the hose has delaminated internally a 'flap' of rubber can also balloon up inside under pressure and inhibit the air-flow.

--Tanuki

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if that helps with the turbo lag. When my sensor was faulty last it caused that problem.

Have you only noticed the whistle since fitting the decat pipe? Could be a warped manifold. I "lost" my rear silencer and notice my turbo whistle a bit now when I'm heavy with the right foot, so it may just be the loss of the cat?

its not so much a whistle, ive got a straight though mid pipe and turbo whistle and whine is much much different to this. Its like a loud squeal almost like a raspy super charger.

I'll unplug the MAF sensor and see what happens.

Thanks, and i shall report back!

I inspected the exhaust manifold for leaks and snapped studs, and it appears to be perfect and intact. I can my hand around it and felt for leaks when it was cold, and after a drive.

Ive unplugged the MAF and it made my engine completely unresponsive for 20 or so seconds, i presume this is normal and the ECU is altering itself to new parameters.

Driving with the MAF disconnected has made no noticeable difference in performance. Perhaps my MAF is so dead that its inoperational even when its connected, if you know what i mean? I shall pick up a brand spanker tomorrow, its always good to have a spare with 3 TD5's in the family.

Another thing i forgot to mention, when i start the engine from cold and hold my engine at quarter revs, it plumes and plumes thick white smoke. After ive driving for say a minute and the engine is slightly warmer it doesnt do it.

Suggestions?

Another thing i forgot to mention, when i start the engine from cold and hold my engine at quarter revs, it plumes and plumes thick white smoke. After ive driving for say a minute and the engine is slightly warmer it doesnt do it.

Suggestions?

Well missing that point out is a bit like phoning NHS direct and saying 'I'm feeling a bit lightheaded, what should I do?' but omit the fact that there's 3 pints of blood on the floor c/o a 50 calibre slug in your leg :-)

Obviously that noise from the turbo and that smoke indicated that the turbo is dead - seizing up/shot bearings/worn seal....