Handbrake Renewal Problem

I'm in the process of attempting to replace the handbrake shoes on my 90, and have run into a problem! I can't get the drum to fit over the new shoes, even though I believe I have fully backed off everything.

The 1/2" adjuster on the back of the handbrake is as loose as I can get it, and the cable has plenty of slack in it. It's the older style handbrake, cable onto a rod.

I have refitted the pistons on the RHS as you look at it with the raised side closest to the back of the handbrake (engine side), and the pistons on the left with the long side towards the front (rear of vehicle) end. I have remembered to put in the little roller on the RHS piston.

You can see a mark on the piston in the 3rd picture, where I assume it used to sit. But I cannot for the life of me work out how to get it to go that far back in

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Cheers

post-27629-0-48885800-1341585392_thumb.jpgpost-27629-0-41885700-1341585402_thumb.jpgpost-27629-0-14008300-1341585413_thumb.jpg

It looks like the rollers in the actuator might have tipped over as you replaced the piston. (there are two rollers - you only mention one above). Take it apart and pay particular attention to their orientation wrt the slope of the end of the rod.

If you go to the tech archive and download the workshop manual there are some diagrams in there that describe it more clearly than me! or take a look at Ralphs pics here:

http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=36215

the pistons on the right hand side are in there handbrake on positions they should be more into the cylinder then you would be able to get the hand brake drum on. Another question is why are the springs not pulling the shoes in when the cable is loose. So you may have installed the bits incorrectly.

Jad

10 points each... I'm getting there. The roller had tipped on end, so is in the right way now.

The pistons in the actuator on the RHS were stuck, so I introduced the the rod assembly on the back of the handbrake to a hammer to free them up and it now looks as follows. Thanks for that, I hadn't realised how far in they were meant to go. Should the cylinder in the middle of the actuator only come out until it is flush with the actuator housing?

However, I still can't get the drum on!! As soon as I think I have it, it just starts to move the shoes that it touches and pull it over towards the middle where prop attaches.

post-27629-0-75599000-1341590022_thumb.jpg

By the way, the shoes I ordered were STC965. I am pretty certain this is the right part number, they looked just the same as the old ones!

Sorted!! I had put the pistons in the adjuster on the LHS the wrong way round, ie bottom was on top and vice versa.

Just got to adjust the handbrake to suit now, hopefully that won't take another 3 hours!!