The dreaded steering wobble (yet again)

Defender 300tdi 90 1995

Rebuilt under 1 year, all rubber bush's have been replaced under a year ago, and have done less than 2000 miles,

New original shocks all round, the front axle was not rebuilt.

I have had this wobble since the rebuild and followed most of the advice on this forum.

I dont know if the wobble was there prior to rebuild as i had not driven the 90 before purchase (had for 5yrs)

I have tried a comlete set of wheels and tyres off another vehicle, no change.

Re tracked several times, appears to improve but not for long.

adjusted the pre load on the swivels, again appeared to improve but not for long.

checked and tightened wheel bearings, all ball joints and damper, again all seem to improve for a short time but only marginally.

Fine below 40ishmph, then at between appx 35ish and 45ish really bad shaking of whole vehicle through the steering (if i flick the wheel this will sometimes stop it)

at 50ish all seems acceptable above 55 does not feel very stable and this continues through to 70ish (not risked going faster than this)

There is no apparent play in the steering uj's or the power pump.

the whole steering seems to be a bit "skitsy" at anything above 35 really.

Has been suggested by a friend to replace the swivel pins and bearings.

Getting a tad peeved with it now, as i think i have tried all i can.

Check the bolt tightness that holds the the steering box onto the chassis, also check that the bolts on the pan hard rod are the correct diameter, Also check the steering box has no play in it too

John

The reason why it occurs at a specific speed is because of resonance http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/frontWheelWobble.htm.

The same reason why when you flick the wheel it goes away... you're changing the resonant frequency (changing the rotating masses natural harmonic frequency of rotation) until it comes back.77

I would check the rotating components (propshafts forward). check the brake discs for distortion (and wear) [what's the braking like?]

Does anyone know what CV joint wear / problems are like?

I got a real wobble on my 90 at around 35-40ish then it dissappeared.

Changed the panhard bushes, steer damper and adjusted the swivel pins and this cured it however I darent take it above 55 now as the slightest bump in the road sends it all over the place.

• 1 month later...

Well had MOT today, and the MOT guy cured the wobble!!!!!

Much to my embarresment............ panhard rod bolts needed pinching up a fraction!!!!!!!!

Took it up the road and no wobble at all.

I could have kissed him...... gave him a tip instead.