Steering judder/vibration

When i turn the steering close to full lock at idle, the revs slow a little and there is a judder or vibration. I have checked the steering fluid is to the right level, and i have opened the bleed nipple and made sure its bled.

How do i irradicate this problem?

Thanks.

Don't turn the steering to full lock!!!!!

You will knacker the seals on the steering box.

I don't know why, and have never investigated it, but was told a long time ago (12 years) that there is no bypass / pressure relief valve on the power steering, so when you turn the steering into full lock, the pressure from the power steering pump can and does pop the seals on the power steering box, which will then need rebuilding.

Well known (I thought) thing you have to live with on a landrover.

The drop in revs is because the power steering pump is pumping against a closed or near closed head.

The vibration.... not sure, force of pump flow pushing against a nearly closed head. Or engine vibration, but to being put under load.... Sorry need to see the extent of "vibration", big / small and what is vibrating (get the bonnet up or off and stick your head within the engine compartment to see what is happening, get an assistant to put it on full lock (bt again not for too long.

My personal approach is that I never put the LR in full lock, in fact, I have set my stops on the axle to be a little longer (albeit I have bigger (wider) tires so his is kind of a given as I had tire scrub against the radius arms. I found out the expensive way..... new (service exchange) power steering box, which was leaking in the end quite badly, and the cost was just a waste for me.... I have better things to waste my cash on than power steering boxes.

What "should" have been included within the power steering design was a pressure relief valve, so that when the pump is pumping against unnecessary head (closed head, full lock, etc) then some of the fluid is diverted back to the reservoir. There are probably good reasons why one was not included, like they are prone not to reseat with the slightest bit of muck under them, and also with excessive use, the fluid can wear a groove within the seat, springs can loose tension over time (i.e. they lift too low) and the performance of the steering changes. I would not recommend one is added as this afterall is your steering.... very important that there is little that can fail, also any change if found following a crash may be a contributing factor... i.e. insurance company will walk away. Suggest that you adapt your driving to avoid full lock, and accept that landrover had a good reason why this was done (I would have also suggested a little more travel to be included within the power steering box (i.e. you will never get to full lock, same as adjusting the stops on the axle a little longer....).

There is a bipass valve on the power steering, or the thing would pop...!

Wwhen you go to full lock its ok, but you shouldn't hold it there for any length of time as the bipass is activated and things start to get a bit warm. angine revs drop due to the pump having to worjk a bit harder to puch the fluid through the relief valve so it loads the engine a bit. The "whooshing" / sometimes screeching sound you hear at full lock is the bipass valve working.

As regard the actual problem, it could be that as your revs are low (maybe a little too low for the pump), you get like a stutter effect on the relief valave, it means the pump isn't supplying a constant enough pressure to keep it fully "open", i presume the vibration goes away if you give it a bit of revs?

Mav