Power Steering

darthdicky

I'm getting ready to fit power steering to the 90 but looking at the stuff I've got I'm getting confused!

I've got:

- pump, bracket and double pulley from a 2.5 petrol

- steering box from a discovery TDi I think

- pipes from a disco or V8 RR

Can anyone with a 2.5 petrol with PAS post a picture of what the pipes look like?

Has anyone got any diagrams for Defenders, Discos, RR's etc. so I can work out what pipes are interchangeable?

Can anyone explain simply how the fluid flows?

Is it reservoir -> pump (via banjo bolt fitting) -> box (which hole?) -> reservoir?

I've just bought (although can return it if its not used) a NRC5001 which from a diagram I've got should be a 2.5 petrol/diesel pipe from the reservoir to the pump (banjo end piece), but actually has the screw in fitting that looks like it goes in the box rather than an open pipe on one end?

Absolutely any pictures are useful! If you can't post them, email to richardwatson @at@ dsl.pipex.com

Thanks,

Richard

It all depends but on mine the pipe from the cntre of the resivor runs to the steering box into a screwe in union.Then the pipe from the box runs to the bango union on the back of my power steering pump. and from the side of the pump there is a jubalie clipped pipe which runs to the side of the resivoir. The pipes off a v8 will be different as the pump is mounted in a different place. The 3 bolt power steering box has imperial fitting to where as the 4 and 6 bolt have metric or so im lead to believe.

There are so many pipes, i found it very difficult so i ended up getting pipes made up. Although in the end i had to do this as i was mating a 3 bolt power steering box to a 200tdi engine. where as in your case the correct parts may be out there they are just hard to find.

If i get chance later ill try and look up what parts you need, if someone doesnt beat me to it.

All i need to know is how many bolts are on the top of the power steering box and if the pump has a banjo at the back of the pump and a push on connector at the side.

Hope that makes some sense took me ages to figure mine out and im not to hot on putting it across in words.

Sure someone will have some pics to :)

Matt

Cheers Matt thats really useful.

The pump has a banjo fitting (as that was left on the vehicle we took the pump from) and an outlet on the side.

The box is a 4 bolt one but I'm not sure whether there's one fitting on top or two? One seems to have an allen type fitting in it, on top of the circular part. The other is definately for a pipe.

Rich

there should be 2 fittings on the top or at least there is on my 3 bolt box.there will be an inlet and an outlet on there though.

sounds like you will need a set of pipes off a 200 tdi or 2.5 shouldnt be 2 hard to get i would not imagine. ill have a look in the parts book now

Cool, my main worry is that the pipe I got today is not the same as the one in the diagram that was from Microcat I think. Any diagrams from parts books etc. would be useful as I can work out what it should look like! With that info I should be able to pop into Exeter 4x4 again and get the right pipe.

Rich

Right here is a pic of where the inlet and outlet from your box (ASSUMING THEY ARE THE SAME AS THE 3 BOLT)

th_powersteering.jpg

it should be clicky.

As for my microcat it shows what looks like a v8 set up as the bango union on those is to join the intake of the pump to the resevoir but yours should just have the pipe on the side and the banjo at the back goes to the box. So i dont have any useful diagrams sorry.

Id say using the parts look up you should be able to match them up on year etc. Like i said its very tricky as there are about 25 different choices of pipe. with the information you have now you could probably get them made up at a hydraulic place and would not cost you any more even easier if you take the motor in. the other option is a full set off a 200tdi or something like that as they would be right i imagine :ph34r: .

Darth,

the box holes are two different sizes so will only go in one way - in fact that doesnt help as none of your pipes are connected!!!!

res - pump - box - res.

large bore hole on box to res i believe for return.

my 2.5 had a 6 bolt box.

From EPC pipe from pump to res is th eone with the banjo bolt pump end.

pipe from pump to box has male head pump end.

Matt, that picture looks a bit small but I think the two bits top left are the inlet/outlet?

The diagram I have shows three pipes (wish I could get a picture on here but can't at the mo!)

1) short one goes from the reservoir to the box on the connection on top nearest the rear of the vehicle

2) long one goes from the reservoir (thick pipe) through some metal tube and then to a banjo end piece

3) long one goes from the pump (male screw in fitting) then a flexy bit of pipe and then a metal tube that ends in another screw in male fitting which seems to go to the box through a hole on top near the front of the vehicle

Does this seem right?

I bought a no. 2) but it actually has a screw fitting one end and a banjo the other end! I guess this must just be the wrong bit?

Cheers,

Rich

yea it sounds right, the extra pipe sounds completly wrong.

if your pump has a pipe on the side and a banjo fitting on the back then:

the problem you have is the banjo bit, if it is bigger that the one on the back of the pump the it will be a v8 one which has a banjo as the inlet to the pump, where as the pump described above has a pipe fitting as the inlet and banjo as the outlet. easy fix just cut the banjo off and they push the tube onto the side of the pump.

the other pipe sounds like it needs a banjo on one end this is also not to bad just need to get a pipe made up to go from the to the 16mm banjo at the back of the pump.

hope this is slowly making sense. Its just a pain with the v8 being different.

as for the holes i think jst is right the bigger hole in the top of the box (the furthest towards the rear) is the return to the resevoir. The smaller tapping goes to the outlet from the box.

its a pain but it is worth it :D

Cheers guys, I think I've got my head around it now - the main problem is that the diagram I have (same as James's second one) is apparently nothing like the actual parts!

Which side is the reservoir supposed to go?

Has anyone got any pictures of any PAS setup they can mail to me - anything is useful as I haven't had a good look at any before.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. Has anyone got a bracket to hold the reservoir on the wing going spare?