4.6 Gems Installation and Megasquirt

mcc1979ian

Evening all, i have been doing alot of research lately about installing my gems engine into my 90 and have got myself mega confused so now i have a few questions.......

Im using a manual (LT77) box so do i need to have a certain flywheel to work with the flywheel sensor or can i do away with the sensor?

Do i need to have the ecu modified to get rid of the auto box function?

Do i need to fit a lambda sensor somewhere and if so where?

If i want to mount the ecu in the cab do i have to extend ALL the wires?

If i fit megasquirt do i need to make any other mods to the engine?

Is it true that the megasquirt trigger wheel gets mounted in the bellhousing and if so how does it mount?

Do i have to somehow link my speedo to the ecu?

If it helps the motor came from a P38 range rover auto so has the standard ecu, engine has been top hat linered and will be fitted with an uprated cam and the inlet trumpets will be shortened by 30mm for better airflow, there will be stainless tubular manifolds fitted.

If theres anything you think iv missed please feel free to add.

Thanks as always

IAN

Im thinking of doing this conversion aswell so im interested in the answers to these questions also. But i was thinking of using a r380 gearbox, ive always thought a lt77 woudnt be able to cope with the power from a 4.6 especially if its been tweaked.

Evening all, i have been doing alot of research lately about installing my gems engine into my 90 and have got myself mega confused so now i have a few questions.......

Im using a manual (LT77) box so do i need to have a certain flywheel to work with the flywheel sensor or can i do away with the sensor

No, best to use an expernal flywheel and VR Sensor brackety poohs

Do i need to have the ecu modified to get rid of the auto box function?

You won't have a Autobox, and you will be binning all the gems stuff, loom AFM and ECU the MS ECU replaces and will be fine :D

Do i need to fit a lambda sensor somewhere and if so where?

Yes for tuning and Closed loop, in Y piece Narroe band heated is fine, can't use the lambda you have from LR :(

If i want to mount the ecu in the cab do i have to extend ALL the wires?

Yes ! but if you use a loom kit you can put everything where you wnat, still needs to be in a waterproof box, roof mounted MS ECUs fail when you roill in 6 inchs of water :rofl:

If i fit megasquirt do i need to make any other mods to the engine?

Yes, see my website !

Is it true that the megasquirt trigger wheel gets mounted in the bellhousing and if so how does it mount?

Yes, and if it fails your into an engine out ! - fit on Puylley

Do i have to somehow link my speedo to the ecu?

Don't know :D

If it helps the motor came from a P38 range rover auto so has the standard ecu, engine has been top hat linered and will be fitted with an uprated cam and the inlet trumpets will be shortened by 30mm for better airflow, there will be stainless tubular manifolds fitted.

Why do you keep mentioning the ECU when your going squirt ? :blink:

If theres anything you think iv missed please feel free to add

Buy Beer :D

Nige

Thanks as always

IAN

deface - There's not much difference between an LT77 and R380, the R380 is just a slightly tweaked LT77.

roof mounted MS ECUs fail when you roill in 6 inchs of water

But for most of us, being upside-down in the first place is more of an issue than whether the engine management is still happy :ph34r: My ECU's been on the ceiling for years and I've never had a problem because I try very hard not to roll my truck over. It'll never catch on.

I'd ditch the tubular manifolds, I found they just collect mud & cause a lot more steam when off-road.

Would you not just take the speedo drive from the back of the gearbox as before?

Depends what teh vehicle is and what the reason is - MS doesn't need a speed input, but some cars may use an electronic sensor connected to the ECU which then talks to the dashboard/ABS/etc., so you may need to frig about a bit to keep the rest of the vehicle happy.