My Bobtail project

straightshooter

Hi all I thought I would ad a post about my Bobtail project swaped it some time ago for an old mercedes which I used to own about ten years ago couldn't believe it was for sale when i saw it so impulse bought it! but quickly descovered that I have no use for a normal car like this

SDC10174.jpg

which 10 years ago I really liked so it was up for sale after just 3 weeks but couldn't sell her for love nor money well descent money so i messaged a few people who were selling there 4x4's who where looking for a swap and befor eyou know it I had a good few people interested but this one just pulled on my heart strings I have owned a few of these beasts in the past but never a bobtail so i thought what the hell another project would keep me out of trouble so here she is:

KGrHqEOKjUE3w8R59BNkLHf61Q_3.jpg

KGrHqEOKpwE3t5yrVdnBNkK745L_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKiYE3jt7pfM1BNkK-mJyg_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKjcE354ZGFGRBNkLMDWbw_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKkME3u7ok1V3BNkLBMMKw_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKnQE3dIyC2GBNkLI7V5Q_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKiQE3e-PVIQBNkLVUrg_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBNkLM60g_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKkYE3RB3uL5lBNkK-76J_3.jpg

as you can see she had a bit of a bump at the front also where she was bobtailed she had mastic put into the join which looked terrible but over all the chassis is solid and the convertion as a whole isn't bad had lots spent on her including suspension work and engine mods she just needs finishing off

so with no further ado I had to crack on and fix the bonnet wing and the joins on the rear panels and here she is so far

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

the roll cage has been removed re welded as the welding was not the best and shot blasted then painted with a textured rubberized paint which looks great in fact i intend to use this stuff on the pillars and the inner doors great stuff, but expensive. and she has been completely rubbed down the colour has been purchased (it was the closest match to what i decided and found 5 liters on flea bay for £40 which is really cheap) and the rear end of the truck has been painted thought i would post a few pics

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

exscuse the pictures but they were taken with my iphone next job is to weld the rollcage on then paint the front then a few odds and **** and she should be ready to play

here are some more pics with all the masking off roll cage back on next week and the rest of the panels so should be back together by the end of the following week :good:

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

and a shot of the engine bay

IMG_0168.jpg

by the way this hasn't even been flattened yet :good:

well guys nearly there the roll cage has been welded back on and the front end painted and assembled and spots mounted on the roll cage just a few more finishing touches to be completed on the outside like painting the rock sliders and finishing the rear quarter panel then it's just the interior that need s to be completed and she'll be ready for action here are some more pictures

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

just a couple more pictures if anyone is interested got the decals on the bonnet and spray the rock sliders the interior roof lining has been recovered and fitted but forgot to take a picture will get one up shortly

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

still need a windscreen also need to get some floor covering for the interior and some checker plating for the door cards but funds are short so the project will grind to a halt for the moment

in fact it used to have the support to the middle pillars but I removed them as you can see from the pictures above but these were a waiste of space and looked terrible I have been considering either installing an internal rollcage and connecting them through the roof or two pipes conecting from the rollcage to the rock sliders externally undecided as of yet

one of the meembers mentioned that i needed support in the centre of my cage which i totally agree and I have been toying with various options ie internel then conecting throught the roof either bolting throught the roof or drilling a hole through or the option in the picture below conecting bar from the roof to the sliders I wont be using the rear doors anyway

Untitled-1.jpg

what are the thoughts out there?

Roll hoop behind driver, holes cut into the rear seat box to allow you to weld on saddles to the chassis, 5mm plate minimum.

Two diagonal cross-braces in the hoop, going right from the saddles to the top corner as much as practicable.

Two diagonal cross braces going from the top of the roll hoop to as far back as practicable in the load area -you may want to shorten them a bit if you intend to carry anything, for MSA compliance I think they need to be directly into the chassis rails, however on my previous cage I built outriggers at the rear of the chassis, very well braced, which seemed to work OK (although I never rolled it ;))

Anywhere you attach anything to the chassis, plate it up with 5mm beforehand.

Tube can be blue band or CDS, CDS you can get away with 2.64mm wall, BB 3.2, tube at least 1.75" (45mm) diameter.

Does that help? :)

Roll hoop behind driver, holes cut into the rear seat box to allow you to weld on saddles to the chassis, 5mm plate minimum.

Two diagonal cross-braces in the hoop, going right from the saddles to the top corner as much as practicable.

Two diagonal cross braces going from the top of the roll hoop to as far back as practicable in the load area -you may want to shorten them a bit if you intend to carry anything, for MSA compliance I think they need to be directly into the chassis rails, however on my previous cage I built outriggers at the rear of the chassis, very well braced, which seemed to work OK (although I never rolled it ;))

Anywhere you attach anything to the chassis, plate it up with 5mm beforehand.

Tube can be blue band or CDS, CDS you can get away with 2.64mm wall, BB 3.2, tube at least 1.75" (45mm) diameter.

Does that help? :)

excelent fancy giving me a hand LOL! :hysterical:

Mine is a P&P cage with internal hoop. You'd only need to add the hoop. And I can have my seat all the way back with people in the back. Getting in and out the back is a squeeze though. Mainly because of the rear diagonals.

DSC00969DesktopResolution.jpg

DSC00968DesktopResolution.jpg

DSC00964DesktopResolution.jpg

DSC00971DesktopResolution.jpg

now thats what I am talking about so what sort of price am i looking at for something like that??? in fact all i would need is the internal hoop and the connectors

I forget as it was a few years ago but it was about £700 I think. It was a special though because of where I wanted the main hoop and the rear diagonals. Best bet would be to give them a ring as just the main hoop would probably be pretty cheap. They have an ebay page too. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Protection-And-Performance-Ltd?_trksid=p4340.l2563