Transit engined Series 3 swap back?

Big.Mike

Hi All,

I was wondering how hard it would be to switch a transit "banana" engine to a 200 or 300 tdi?

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy mechanically, but what about the loom?

Is it actually worth doing?

Thanks!

Mike

A Tdi is a great engine to have, but it's fairly noisy, even compared to the Series diesels.

200Tdis come in two forms - the common RRC/Discovery version, which will fit an 88" without too much trouble, and the rarer and dearer Defender version which fits the 109 better (the manifolds and turbo don't foul the deeper chassis), but the different timing case would require alteration of the right side chassis mount.

300Tdis are all essentially the same (though you want one of the earlier non-EDC models with the simple fuel solenoid and no cruise control). I don't know much about mating their flywheel housing to the bell housing, but they would require custom mounts on both sides of the chassis and some inventive intake and exhaust work.

The earlier engine is tougher but less refined. The 300 has weaker heads, but at least they're still available new, unlike the 200s'.

To do the conversion, the best start would be to remove the Transit engine and return the engineless vehicle as much to standard as possible before following one of the many documented conversions done by others.