Hi guys,

I'm sorting out the induction system at the moment.

I have a 200 tdi installed and have been struggling with how to install the air filter. There is insufficient space on the near side to run the intake from the same location as on a 90. I therefore need to install intake on the off side and will connect to a snorkel in the same manner as a 300 tdi ( unless anyone comes up with a better solution). I've been round the local breakers and tried a number of different filter boxes the best option I've found is the original 19j / 200tdi steel canister with the cylindrical filter inside. This is designed to draw air from the outside in, however with my space constraints it works much better if I draw air from the centre out. In this configuration the air filter sits on the off side inner wing with my inlet on the end facing to the rear, the outlet then faces the across the engine bay.

So can anyone give me a good reason why I can't run the cartridge filter in reverse?

Will try and post a photo later.

Many thanks.

Rob

The proper Defender 200tdi set up is the best fit but the bracket that bolts to the inner wing to hold the airbox is VERY rare. Another option is to pick up one of the Donaldson units on ebay that were fitted to Iraq 300tdi's. You can easily get the mounting brackets for them and the are roughly a 1/4 bigger than a 200/300tdi sized filter so flow more air.

Otherwise its have a nosey here;

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=924_925&zenid=bqcetvc48plrc897nldgknpfa3

When I come to mount my air filter, I'm going to use a 300tdi air can and using some of the large metal bands, mount it on the air-con pump mounts. It requires quite a bit of pipework but seems to be the only place that has sufficient space due to intercooler pipes etc.

If you run it backwards, you lose the cyclone effect that tends to throw heavy bits, like water droplets, onto the outer casing toward the drain rather than into the filter surface.

Also Fridgefreezer just pointed out that the mesh that hold the filter material is on the inisde, so the filter body might come apart into your engine, especially if it ever got wet.

Thanks for advice lads. Rusty Nissan started me looking down the Donaldson route and think I've found one that may suit. However got to change intended position to between inner wing and engine - more brackets to be made and there's lots of other things coolant hose oil cooler hoses and steering column all to avoid.

Suppose if it was easy.......

Rob

These are the ones as fitted to the Iraq 300tdi Defenders;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donaldson-Air-intake-Air-cleaner-Land-Rover-wolf-/360351740027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e6a3307b#ht_500wt_1180

I bought them off ebay for a lot cheaper than that though.

The clamp;

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=2081

The only problem with the Donaldson housings is that they dont have the inlet for the crankcase breather-you have to run it through an oil catch tank instead. The filter elements are a lot bigger than a standard TDI filter and flow more air.

I use a Donaldson on a tuned 2.5NA and had good results.