PAS - Anyone near Oxford/Gloucestershire fitted it?

=jon=

Hi,

The steering box & relay on my S3 are decidedly ropey, so I'm considering a PAS conversion instead. The fabrication and welding isn't a problem (I'm lucky enough to have a very handy Dad!), but working out how everything fits from pictures and why things are done in the way they are can be hard to tell from the pics and write ups on here...

Is there anyone reasonably local to Oxford that's done a PAS conversion that wouldn't mind letting me (and probably my Dad) have a look, and more than likely pick your brains as to how you'd do it differently if you were doing it again :)

From what I can tell, the simplest/best plan is a defender column, 4 bolt PAS steering box of some variety (but Disco2 preferred as they are stronger, or late RRC as they are higher ratio?) mounted inboard, and either notch the crossmember or replace it with a thinner one to get the box in the right place. Along the right lines so far?

Many thanks!

Jon

Along the right lines, very recent thread about mine somewhere, several other threads also here which a google search will find for you, but I shouldn't worry about being deadset on a D2 box, you'll start a few arguments claiming its stronger.

I'm in rugby, not that close.

Looks like a defender / RRC steering box has been acquired for the princely sum of... (drumroll...) £7.50 from the for sale section on here. It's supposedly leaky, but worst case I can use it as an exchange for a replacement one from somewhere like paddocks, and it will do to start working out where things fit on the chassis :)

Yeah - I've read loads on there, Nicks (snagger?) Land Rover Page, and about 20 different threads on here about how to do it...

The trouble is, after a point you just add to your confusion - Defender / Disco 1/2 / RRC / P38 / Toyota steering boxes, inboard or outboard mounting, etc etc etc... At some point I have to say "I'm gonna do it like this" and make my mind up!

With an 88 then you'll have a standard chassis not military, this means you must mount a defender/disco steering box above the chassis rails, and chop off one side of the bolting lugs for the bracket. With a military chassis you don't need to, with the springs in the bottom hole there's loads of room for the defender drop arm to clear the spring.

I had no problems with fitting the defender teering setup to my 109, apart from the custom drag link, which is a shortened Gwyn Lewis Sumobar.

You've obviously got a TDi or V8 with means to mount the PAS pump already there?

OK - thanks. Things like this should become a bit clearer when I have a box in front of me and can offer it up against the chassis. I don't have the strengthening gussets on the spring hangers which some people look to have had to chop out for clearance.

I've got a 2.5 petrol engine out of a defender in it - it's got the dual belt crank pulley, the defender it came out of previously had PAS :)

Excuse the lack of introduction.... don't know if the attached will help at all.

I'm thinking along the same lines at the moment and this is a pic I took at Billing - although this is a purpose made 88" leaf sprung Richards chassis using a Stage 1 front crossmember.

The measurement from the centre of the upper shock mounting to the bottom left PAS mounting bolt was 9.125 inches.

Perhaps you'll post you experience in fitting (particularly If you go for a standard LR/RR box).

Cheers

Russell

post-37038-0-89414900-1345894772_thumb.jpg

Right, small update. I now have a defender pas box and a RRC one to offer up - ones got a straight drop arm, ones curved. For £15 the pair they were too cheap to pass up!

I'm now on the hunt for a defender steering column and the lower part between the bottom of the column and the steering box if anyone has any kicking round...