engine lifting equipment

lyron

i have To remove the engine on our 300tdi disco and would very much like some advice on lifting kit. i have the chance of buying a new sealey one ton capacity engine crane and would like to know if this would be adequate for the job or would i need a larger lifting capacity

any help or advice would be very welcome

ron.

I've found that the standard cranes do not have enough reach to cope with a LR engine, necessitating removal of the front panel in order to make it work, though I think the tdi300 is in the forward position and thus may be easier.

My Clarke foldable crane is going encounter substantial alterations to overcome this fault.

G.

Are you planning on removing the gear box at the same time?

If so you will have to use a 2ton, one will just bend.

And one with adjustable legs is worth every penny!

It is more than possible with a normal engine lift and some STRONG rope around the gear housing and looped over to the single lifting point on the engine.

And yes you will have to remove half the front end then push the landy back leaving the lot hanging.

Best you always have someone in shouting distance just incase!!!!!!!

I used a 1 ton lift on my 200tdi to do the block and gearbox complete and it was no problem. Get some good strong chain and shackles.

Oh by the way, position the vehicle so you can roll it back from the lifted block and NOT try as I did to pull the engine crane back as it might tip and you could end up wearing it. :unsure:

ihth

j2jpost-13733-0-10519500-1345664034_thumb.jpgpost-13733-0-94443700-1345664058_thumb.jpg