LPG and insurance.

MikeAK

Hi,

I have a 1993 RangeRover Classic which has an LPG system fitted and is insured as a "classic" car. My current insurer has no problem with this and was happy to accept I had no installation certificate as it was fitted before I purchased the vehicle and it was fitted many years ago before certificates became a "requirement" by insurance companies.

My current insurer is now changing its definition of classic to cars over 30 years old and will not be renewing my insuarance when it expires. I have just accepted a quote with Adrian Flux who said that LPG was no problem as long as I signed a form stating LPG was fitted and that it was maintained. No mention of official bodies etc.

I now have the form and it seems that I am certifying it was installed by a member of one of three official bodies.

post-6152-0-35470800-1345749626_thumb.jpg

So where does this leave me, I feel that the chap on the phone mislead me with his description of what the LPG form is for.

Looking on UKLPG website it states that one of their members should check an existing installation and certify it and add it to the LPG register (assuming it's OK). However I remember a mate trying this a few years back an they had no interest in doing it. Even if they do I suspect it will be silly money and they will be very pedantic about it. Anyone had any experiance of this and maybe recommend somewhere in the northwest?

Thanks for any sugestions.

Mike

I've just had the same problem with mine. I took it to a bloke in telford to get it certified, costs £75, its like an mot test for the lpg system. Mine failed as it didnt meet the 2008 lpg standards. I took the system off as I didn't want to spend the money to get it up to scratch.

TBH, I'd pay to have the system inspected by an LPGA approved installer.

As well as issuing a certificate of compliance for your insurer (hopefully), you will have the added comfort of knowing your installation is safe and functioning correctly. You have no idea what a previous owner may have done, and how well set up the system is.

LPG systems definitely benefit from servicing, like any other fuel system on a car.

Have a look on the LPG Forum to find an approved installer in your area.

you will have the added comfort of knowing your installation is safe and functioning correctly.

From what I've seen in LPG systems, the approved installers are usually not the brightest bulbs in the bunch, so I wouldn't take their approval as a reference...

Well if you spend a little time on the forum I linked to, you'll be able to find a reputable fitter that is worth your time.

I agree that there are many who's work I wouldn't trust. This is why I elected to fit my own systems. I visited my local fitter and saw a job he was working on. I came away in no doubt that I didn't want him anywhere near my vehicle :o

• 3 weeks later...

I had this inspected last week by a LPGUK registered installer. Needless to say it failed, but it was all trivia, things like the gas pipes not clipped at the required intervals in some places and some of the wiring was single cores zip tied to the car loom, apparently these have to be in a loom so I used convoluted conduit. Also no rubber pads between tank cradle and the tank and a cracked valve cover on the tank, plus a few other bits.

Did the work and took it back today for re-inspection and it passed

It cost £100 for the inspection + approx £30 for parts + £25 to be registered on the LPGUK database, so a total of £155 to get it registered, not too bad and I'll soon recoup that in fuel savings.

I was expecting a sharp intake of breath and a very pedantic inspection by the inspector, but actually he seemed very reasonable and was quite happy to give advice on how to comply with the regs.

Knowning the requirements now I wouldn't hesitate to do a DIY install in the future and get it inspected. Anyone who can maintain a Landrover would have no problems fitting a system.

Mike

Mike I'm glad you went through with this inspection.

Not only does it mean you now have a vehicle that you know is safe and hopefully reliable too, but you also have a greater understanding of the important issues surrounding use of LPG.

It sounds like whoever fitted your system didn't do a bad job in the first place.

As you now know LPG installation is not difficult, but requires a good standard of workmanship.

For the benefit of other readers, perhaps you wouldn't mind naming the LPG inspector/business you used?

Happy cut-price motoring!

I had to have my Russian truck LPG installation inspected for insurance purposes. He was generally complimentary about the installation (critical of two of three cable tie ends not clipped off and my second-hand but perfectly good vapouriser). Total cost £65. Luckily there was no grovelling about on the ground to see the tank plate and all of the other hardware was easily visible

I used Energy Shift in Ashford Kent. Very knowledgeable and helpful, I suspect there was also an element of wanting to come and see the truck!