V8 heater bypass valve.

Scooby Jim

Hi guys, I have a question about my heaters.

I've an early series 3 converted to run a 3.5 V8.

The original engine is long gone but it would have had a valve to allow hot water into the matrix.

9459_35.JPG

What can I use as I don`t have anything like this, or do I block off the water pipes, or just leave it flowing into the matrix permanently??

if you go for a full flow circuit, it'll be the same as a defender heater circuit, they don't have a water shutoff valve in the cooling/heater system.

Cool, was considering using some pipework I had left over from a Vauxhall 3.0 V6, where it uses a vacuum controlled bypass valve.

But then found this, bit pricey, but a simpler system could be made.

bypass.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_1754wt_906

if you go for a full flow circuit, it'll be the same as a defender heater circuit, they don't have a water shutoff valve in the cooling/heater system.

I think the defender heater box uses flaps to divert air through the matrix for warm air, or to bypass it for cold air though.

I've got a series heater box and no control valve wotsit on mine, so the heater runs 'hot' all of the time. You don't get hot air coming out of the vents unless you have the fan on though. For cold air you have to rely on the vent flaps or the inevitable draughts!

I used an off-the-shelf ball valve from the hydraulics (or plumbing) shop. About a fiver. You can nail the heater cable to the handle if you want.

Or you could just use the part:

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=81173

With an adapter fitting to joint to the V8 plumbing (again, hydraulics shop should be able to find a fitting to adapt it)