Tdi engine and gearbox into early 110?

I've been offered a very early 110 CSW but it's a V8 with 4 speed gearbox. My long commute into work means I'd have to stop twice on the way to remortgage my house, I used to have a Stage 1 with overdrive and it liked a drink.

I've seen lots of threads about putting a 200Tdi engine onto a 90/110 gearbox, but I'd quite like a 5 speed gearbox. As I don't need low ratios for off road work, would a Discovery (200 or 300) Tdi engine, gearbox and transfer box all fit? Or is it a world of hurt and I'm better off looking for a later 110?

Looking forward to the replies, a bit... :unsure:

My early 110 CSW had a V8 and an LT85 in it. We loved it but after 10 years of the V8 I changed it to a 300tdi/R380 combination.

It took me a week to fit it all and yes the engine mounts needed to change along with the seatbox and tunnel. It was a shame to have to cut the galvanised chassis but it had to be done.

I would personally go for a later 300tdi and save yourself the hassle. If you want to do a really good job, buy the older V8 one and change the chassis and bulkhead. I know that's bit extreme, but while you have it all apart and then it's done for 30 years.

disco box as is will put the gearlevers in the front edge of the centre front seat, better to use a correct 90/110 LT77 or R380 gearbox.

Am I wrong in thinking that a disco R380 box is the same as a defender just without the remote control on it? or is the bellhousing a different size too?

Mav

Edited by Maverik

Disco LT77 has a much longer bellhousing and input shaft than Defender LT77, gearstick is in totally the wrong place.

Disco R380 is the same as Defedner R380 lengthwise, only difference is the shifter housing and shiftrod/yoke - You can quite easily and cheaply convert a disco R380 to defender gearstick position, despite what others say, by replacing the shift rod and using a few bits out of a dead defender LT77.

As regards the 110 conversion - I did this with my 110 V8 Hicap. Defender LT77 bolts straight to the chassis using LT77 mounts, It moves the gearsticb back by about an inch compared to the LT85 - I had to cut the fibreglass tunnel cover and move the shifter aperture back by about an inch from memory. No problems with the bulkhead etc. The V8 mounts are different from the 200 TDI and will need changing on the chassis.

Personally I would go the 300TDI/R380 route. You will need the R380 gearbox crossmember - Disco one will bolt to chassis with very slight modification to the crossmember. 300TDI engine mounts cut off donor vehicle and weld to chassis, along with mid exhaust mount.

You have the distinct advantage of having the LT85 seatbox/tunnel/bulkhead/floorpanels which are all but identical to the 300TDI ones so no messing around there cutting and trying to obtain all these parts which can often be more expensive than you will pay for a 300tdi engine.