servicing a defender td5

Tibout

hey guys,

manage to get a nice td5 110. couple of small things to be done on her but i'll sort them out. i just want to give her a full service. could anyone advice me on:

1. engine oil specs and quantity?

2. gearbox oil quantity and is it the atf?

3. tranny box oil quantity and is it 80w90? same with axle?

any other things i should do while servicing the landy?

thanks a mil

Thierry

Engine oil is 5W/30 semi or fully synthetic, takes around 7litres I think, buy two canisters anyway.

Gearbox is MTF94, not ATF. Can't recall how much, 3litre? Filler plug needs a splined bit to open.

Rest is 80W90

Straightforward otherwise, you have a rotor oil filter as well as the standard one. Don't overtighten the the rotor filter cover, there's not much thread. Normal filter can be hard to access but mine have been finger tight so come of easily.

While you are poking around, pull the red plug off the ecu and check for oil, hopefully you'll find none. If you do, order an injector loom.

If the engine is a bit oily they can leak from the rocker gasket at the rear or the plastic bung on the front of the rocker carrier. Check at the right rear corner of the engine above the starter for diesel, the fuel pressure regulators leak after 80-90k.

Otherwise, it's the same as any other Defender.

You found one then, great..

8lt is about right if you change the filters too, best to do both filters if you don't have any service history, bit fiddly but ok to do. Diesel filter is just in front of off side rear wheel, then get your grease gun out.. Carry a spare drive belt too..

I just fitted a K&N air filter.£32.00 the price of 4x paper ones, will probably out last the rest of my 110...

Have fun,

db.

[snip]

I just fitted a K&N air filter.£32.00 the price of 4x paper ones, will probably out last the rest of my 110...

Have fun,

db.

I hope you don't drive through too much dust, although you might be ok in Blighty......

Put it this way, paper filters far better than oiled cotton gauze ;)