Discovery 200tdi Head Gasket Replacement Parts

axlechorus

Dear All,

My 200tdi Disco Head gasket has started blowing on the number 4 cylinder right at the back away from the coolant and oil channels. I am going to be replacing this in a couple of weekends times hopefully when I can get home (it only needs to go 10 miles each way to work for now and I am monitoring the coolant & Oils daily encase)

Now obviously I need to replace the gasket with the correct type and can Identify what is on there by the number of holes. If I don't need to skim the head then I will need the same type. But if I do need to skim the head then what are the tolerances for the difference gaskets and their thicknesses? I believe there are 4 different ones and who is a good supplier?

Also while I have the head off what else is it worth looking at/inspecting/renewing? I am assuming new head bolts are worth getting?

Best Wishes

Ryck

turner engineering are a good supplier, youre local book of lies will tell you what size gasket to use, measured by piston protrusion from top of the block (pistons actually stick up higher than the top block face. this is measured with a straight edge and feeler guages, OR a dial test indicator

if you end up needing a single hole headgasket, theres an Elring one here in derbyshire brand new in packaging still for a tenner, although i am reluctant to post it as i dont trust any courier/postage services not to damage it.

if you have to skim the head, you still have to fit the original size headgasket, this is determined by the amount of piston protrusion above the block, so that won't change,

you can reuse the headbolts, worth changing the valve stem seals while the head is off.

if you have to skim the head, you still have to fit the original size headgasket, this is determined by the amount of piston protrusion above the block, so that won't change,

you can reuse the headbolts, worth changing the valve stem seals while the head is off.

thanks for correcting me. i complettely missed the fact that the head has no chamber type thingymebob, and therefore the thickness of the gasket would change when the BLOCK is skimmed, which is Very unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the advice guys, Got the parts from Turner Engineering (top service) and did the job in a day and a bit over the weekend. Was held up by a very overtightened bolt holding down the rocker shaft that we had to remove once the head was off :angry2: but its all part of the fun.

Did the head gasket on a genuine Camel 200tdi. Getting the torque right on the rearmost head bolts is a problem. It is strange that as the 200tdi engine was designed for the Disco, but I suppose the vehicle and engine designers didn't speak to each other.

Not a problem on the 300Tdi, but then again it has a different gearbox and bell housing. The engine must be a bit lower.

T

never had any problem torqueing the head bolts on my Defender spec 200tdi, recently changed the head gasket as some oil was getting into the coolant, all seems fine now,

You won't have a problem with a Defender. Space at the back is very tight on the Disco.

disco engines in a defender are also fine, same parts. its the fact the disco bulkhead comes over the top of the head meaning if you have relatively bulky torque wrench and angle guage then it could be a problem. my torque wrench has a built in angle guage which eradicates the problem.

disco engines in a defender are also fine, same parts. its the fact the disco bulkhead comes over the top of the head meaning if you have relatively bulky torque wrench and angle guage then it could be a problem. my torque wrench has a built in angle guage which eradicates the problem.

Never seen one of those! I use a ½" power bar and a Chinese angle gauge which is too long on the Disco. So I had to estimate the angles at the back.

Did the head gasket on a genuine Camel 200tdi. Getting the torque right on the rearmost head bolts is a problem. It is strange that as the 200tdi engine was designed for the Disco, but I suppose the vehicle and engine designers didn't speak to each other.

Not a problem on the 300Tdi, but then again it has a different gearbox and bell housing. The engine must be a bit lower.

The access is a little tight but not that bad. The biggest issue we has was squeezing the head off with the push rods still in it as we couldnt shift the rockshaft retaining bolt that I had been overtightened in situ.

Ta

Ryck