boot flaw [sic]

ronnie_rotten

Well, the old car had to go, so a disco had to be bought, but it it have to be quite so absent of metal at the rear end?!?

Even as bad as it is it's safer than the accident waiting to happen that was 'the flying rover'. However, the mot is out in feb, and if it wants another one the entire boot floor realistically needs to be replaced. There seems to be enough good steel around the edges to work with, but i'm thinking one big sheet reinforced and cut to shape and welded in would be better than the 3 sections and 3 crossmembers available for the 'proper' repair.

Now, i can't (or at least never learned to) weld, but i'm willing to learn. I'm guessing that the tail end of a 20' seam weld should be pretty tidy by the time i get there, and then the first 15' could be ground off and redone with my new found skillz!

At least half (maybe more) of me wants to get a nice tube of tiger seal and glue the massive plate in, in about 15 minutes flat, but that would be naughty. And technically, by all but the worst sort of pikey, be considered a bodge. Still tempting though. :D

So i suppose i want to be talked into, or out of my first welding job. Or offered 600 quid for a disco that has taken the toll of 109,000 miles, almost entirely behind the rear seats!

What's wrong with tiger seal ? If you clean it up well, ensure that the crossmember strength has been replaced - rivet in some if you must, and tiger seal the lot back together well, it should be fine.

It's not structural, it mightn't be text book, but it's adequate, especially for a Disco that isn't worth much more than the welder you'd buy to fix it with!

And tiger seal is a structural adhesive - lots of cars nowadays are built with the stuff.

Just make sure the rot is stopped. Waxoil, spary zinc, wirebrush on a grinder - rearrange in the correct order.

What's wrong with tiger seal ? If you clean it up well, ensure that the crossmember strength has been replaced - rivet in some if you must, and tiger seal the lot back together well, it should be fine.

It's not structural, it mightn't be text book, but it's adequate, especially for a Disco that isn't worth much more than the welder you'd buy to fix it with!

And tiger seal is a structural adhesive - lots of cars nowadays are built with the stuff.

Just make sure the rot is stopped. Waxoil, spary zinc, wirebrush on a grinder - rearrange in the correct order.

I am not any type of an expert here, but,and this is a big but, by the book the MOT tester is obliged to fail it for that type of repair.

No matter how you dress it up, the book says that any repair should be to manufactured standard or higher, boot floor spot welded in and sealed not bonded, its a weld repair not a bonding exercise.

before you say it is a good enough repair and it is legal, and so and so did it and it's fine, it's not legal and it's not fine, I bought an old 1991 D1 for a grand with 3 months on the ticket and when it re-test time, the previous MOT test station got a ministry visit after my car failed for a sealed in boot floor, do it if you like but I have warned you!!!

Besides you do not have to seam weld it in, just drill it and plug weld it onto good metal it is the same as a spot weld, or you can do inch long beads every 3-4 inches and just underseal it properly, thats what I did when I had to fit a new one after ruining the other when taking it out.

So plug welding may be an acceptable way to 'plate over' the entire rear floor area (grot removed first)? That would certainly be a lot easier/cheaper/quicker than a seam weld.

My usual tester said he'd never seen a floor rivetted in, and didn't really like the idea as rivets can shear. He also said that a rivet in good steel is better than weld to a rusted out area, so he'd have to see it to really comment fairly.

Then i guess the tigerseal comes into play to seal the edges. May in the future u-pol will invent tiger weld....

Sorry, this came across as being argumentative, not my intention.

I'm just curious as I understood that non structural areas were only checked for potential cutting hazards. And as the D has a ladder chassis the body work is only checked around seat belt mountings.

It's why you can use ABS wings, and fibreglass modifications like landrangers and Eagle Kit cars - it's not structural, therefore not covered by the test.

G.

I beleive it falls within the 6"of a body or seatbelt mount rule & manufactured standard or higher- seat belts for the rear pass through the floor to the chassis, and are mounted to the rear inner guards and the two dickie seats in the back are on the rear qtrs Gazzer, sure the slightly older range rover classics had a aluminium floor riveted in afaik.

Steve

If you look at the chassis near the damper behind the rear wheel, there are a couple of body mounts(?) Which are about 2 inches from a whole lot of er, hole. The seatbelt mounts are still within inches of corrosion even if they're anchored to the chassis and there's a rather large void right next to the mountings for the rear seats.

Even if i remove the seats, solving the belt and mounting problem, there's still those pesky body mounts within range of 'the beetle' as my mate calls it.

I know all testers have their own interpretation of the guidelines, but i don't think too many would look at this boot and declare "my, what a fine example of structural goodness" and then hand me a lollypop.

Maybe i'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. Just for laughs!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry not been for an MOT as yet I had a heart attack while fitting the boot floor so still in recover mode LOL it probably wont get any more attention now till after Xmas, unfortunatly SWMBO has put a ban on me doing anymore till next year now

Jim

truck now for sale (boot and all) in the trading post. ebay later this week if no interest here.

sorry to hear the boot knocked you for 6, jim. that's a tidy looking job. wishing you aspeedy recovery.

Oh no, don't give up on it for a little bit of rust, it is not big a job to fit the boot floor!!!

oh, this is more a case of cirrumstances pulling the rug from under me! got a baby due 12/12/12 (auspicious, no?) and were moving over east in the campervan to have him so my parents can look after boy number 1 while we're in hospital. can't move both vehicles, cos the insurance want 150 extra to add a named driver, which is a joke. was going to leave the disco at work and sort it out at a later date, but i've sacked the boss because he's a selfish arzle, and i'm sick of making him rich. so no storage. tax will run out within a couple of weeks of the birth, then we're off to ireland early in the new year. there's just too much going on to make it work, so it's gotta go, sadly.

first £500 can have it!

Blimey, busy oldlife you got yourself there!!!!

I wish you the best for the wife and new baby when it arrives, and you will love Ireland, I wish I'd never left....... Just watch out for the cops,they can be a little bit over zealous at times!!!