Wet Boot Floor on my MK1

CJ1

Today I used the boot for the first time lol. And found that the floor is SOAKED, and the panel in the middle has gone soft and rotted. On some Freelanders there is a cubby hole with a lid in the middle, but in mine it is just a blanking panel. Where could the leak be coming from?

It is raining down here today, so I took the opportunity to go and have a look at the seals, The window was wet where it meets the rubber but it may just be water dropped onto it as I opened it, and I looked from above into the top seal that the window goes up into and it was full of moss and mould. I cleaned out as much as I could but still loads left in there, so next weekend will get it all apart, and clean it up. The side window seals are solid as when it was jet washed before there was no signs of water on the inside of the window although could not see below the bottom of the windows.

Is the new modified seal expensive? Where can I get one from please?

My floor has a lid on it but isn't one with a handle, it has 2 allen key screws on each corner but has collapsed and rotted. My Convertible model Freelander had a rubber mat in it, so before I sold that car I took the boot rubber mat out and put that in for now. And am on the hunt for a boot carpet with a cubby hole in it. The only one I have found so far is right price but in Scotland and collection only, but I am on the south coast :(

I have a Vax wet and dry hoover, so the next day it is dry, I will get out there and suck as much water and moisture out of the boot as possible.

I will get a photo of the boot uploaded soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The carpet or rubber inside the cubby compartment 'sweats' as the heat from the exhaust backbox heats up, heating the rear area , hence the water build up. I had the same problem in my freelander 1 TD4, I drilled holes in the lid...water still there after a drive. My solution was to 'cut' out the small piece of carpet/rubber in the cubby compartment.Nothing to do with door / window seals.

No water whats so ever again!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dried the interior out as best as I could using an oil heater with a very long extension lead running from my house. And now the car is parked up in a yard down the road, the front seats will get soaked everytime it rains, so will be interesting to see if the boot floor is wet again after it has rained. The sides of the floor wasn't completely dry though when I took the heater out.

• 3 years later...

Hi to all. First post. Reading the above I have a puddle of water in the recessed box in the rear of my 2006 freelander sport. There is a slight rip in bottom of the rear door seal which I have read suggests that's where the water comes in. Anyway as FridgeFreezer suggested is it OK to drill holes in the recess (is this called the cubby box?) will it cause other problems? Thanks in advance :)

A couple of 5-10mm holes in the lowest part of the cubby will let water out, a dab of something rust preventative (waxoyl / dinitrol / primer & paint) on the bare metal is a good idea. Sounds like yours has a damaged seal though, so replacing that could be worthwhile if it's not too pricey.

A couple of 5-10mm holes in the lowest part of the cubby will let water out, a dab of something rust preventative (waxoyl / dinitrol / primer & paint) on the bare metal is a good idea. Sounds like yours has a damaged seal though, so replacing that could be worthwhile if it's not too pricey.

Funny thogh the carpet or anywhere on top where the key goes isn't wet just the cubby hole. Could it be condensation?

• 2 weeks later...

My solution was to 'cut' out the small piece of carpet/rubber in the cubby compartment.Nothing to do with door / window seals.
No water whats so ever again!!

Done exactly that although my cut wasn't small it was the whole square of the compartment. Must of sponged 4 litres of water out there. Will look next weekend and if there is still water I will drill a 20mm hole and seal with a open rubber grommet.

Funny thogh the carpet or anywhere on top where the key goes isn't wet just the cubby hole. Could it be condensation?

Hi,

Bought an August 2005 Freestyle TD4 last night with this fault, I didn't let it put me off precisely because the damp was so localised in the stowage area and not in the surrounding carpet. Sponged up about a litre of water, no bad smell so I don't think anything has started to rot. :)

There seem to be a few different fixes listed here.

My first course of action is to try and dry out the damp area as much as possible. Have packed in old newspapers and weighed them down with bricks to soak up any residual damp. Had a look underneath the boot floor and noticed two blanking plugs in the floor of the stowage area where the toolkit lives, one of them had dampness seeping out and the other was dry.

Probably the best thing to do is strip out the boot carpet and climb inside, close all doors and windows and get someone to thoroughly hose the outside while I look for any leaks.

Work in progress.

We managed to sort the wet floor in my Dad's old Freelander 1; If you remove the exterior trim from above the back door you will see 5 screws, silicone those screws up well and then put the trim back on and see if that makes a difference.