rear wiper

Might have fudged my wiper motor mechanism today. May have lost my temper with it and tried twisting it the wrong way. :blush:

Anyone ever taken one to bits to fix?

Just looked at a replacement and £165 is steep for a tiny motor :unsure: (Part no. STC3854)

Or does anyone have a cheap one going in there shed?

They are indeed a bit pricey, when I bought my 90 the rear wiper wasn't working and I ended up getting one off a well known auction site. They didn't come up often on this site and when they did they always fetched a decent price.

Since I replaced mine, I'm sure I have read somewhere that you can fit a Disco / early Range Rover / Metro item (can't remember which) without much hassle - these generally come up more often and are normally cheaper. Perhaps something you could pursue?

HTH

They aren't easy to take apart non-destructively, and they rust from the inside. TBH if it doesn't work it is probably dead. I think they only get used for a swipe or two, and never get warm to dry out inside. The water drains down to the bottom of the motor and rusts the bearings out. I managed to get one from a Puma off ebay for £40 and it fitted my 300 no problem, so I'd say be watchful and patient.

• 3 weeks later...

They are a bit fiddly to take to pieces but you can do it. It's worth taking it apart to have a look before splashing out on a new one. If you think it's already broken there's nothing to lose and you can fiddle with the gear mechanism inside them.

The one on my 200tdi stopped working and a replacement was stupid money. I did manage to get mine apart, re-seat the brushes and after re-building the thing (at least 3 or 4 times! It's an annoying fiddly job) it does now work.

Guest wunntenn

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Metro motor is the one that works, and indeed I may actually have one in my own van. I seem to recall getting it from the scrappies. But I got a lot of bits from the scrappy and I may not be remembering correctly, but it might be worth a visit to one to have a look.